Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Crop damage & Night permits

Old 03-28-2007, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Crop damage & Night permits

Livingon aSouthern New Jersey Farm, I've seen the crop damage that occurs from deer.

The state issues permits to farmers who have serious damage to their crops to kill deer in their fields at night, with a spotlight. Mostly sweetpotato farmers participate in this form of killing...But I know this method is abused. Some farmers run down deer in their trucks with a shooter on the back...... every thing gets killed, from fawns to mature bucks.When I hear ofnice bucks being taken, and it makes me cringe.

There is legitimate damage to many crops, and the night "exterminating" is 100% legal(so long as the shooter is standing outside the truck), but to see mature bucks getting slain under a spotlight doesn't seem right. It actually disgusts me. I can't immagine this taking place in Illinois or Iowa, where spotlighting isn't allowed.

I'm sure most of you feel the way I do, so without causing an anger-fest, here's my question....

IS THIS LEGAL IN YOUR STATE??

Old 03-28-2007, 02:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Crop damage & Night permits

Yes! with a State Permit
Old 03-28-2007, 06:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Texas also allows the control of deer with a depredation permit.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:46 PM

In Ohio I know of two types of permits. One isthat any farmer can get if he complains about crop damage. Most of the time the DNR will hand out a few of these permits to any farmer that ask if he can show any damage. I think they almost always hand out a few just to make the farmer happy, usually only a couple. The second is one where they come out and walk the farmers fields over real good, do some math and actually find out how much damage he has and then if it is severe enough they will issue permits that can be used anytime of the year. I know of one guy in town that has a real honey hole and is infested with deer like crazy and he gets to hunt all year long! But I have never heard of night hunting being allowed.

EDIT: Wanted to add after reading the post after mine that in Ohio its only does on the permit for crop damage permits. The only time I have ever seen bucks shot with special permits is in urban areas where hunting is generally not allowed and the DNR has handed out special permits to archery hunters only and they have taken bucks, but have heard it is rare. Ohio is also having problems around the inner parts of Cleavland and has hired a marksman company to shoot deer, buck or doe and this also has nothing to do with farming, but public safety in the big city parks. But for open hunting country the crop damage permits are doe only.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can you shoot bucks on this permit - are you sure?

In NY I'm pretty sure the DMAP program is DOE ONLY. (as it should be)
and I don't think night hunting is ever allowed in NY for deer

FH
Old 04-03-2007, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

N.J. only allows does by law, but they shoot the bucks anyway. You always hear the rumors of rack bucks being killed. I have a problem with the whole process in general. I just opens up unnecssary doors for an excuse to poach and outlaw.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

The folks that are going to poach are going to poach anyway. Doing away with depredation permits isn't going to stop that.

I have no problem with depredation permits. If I am the farmer, and it is my land and my living the deer are eating away, why shouldn't I be able to protect my income? Why should my family do with less so the state can protect its deer herd?
Old 04-03-2007, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with you on that but,You have no idea how bad it is over here.

Some of these people are animals.

Instead of going out andkilling 4 or 5 does, they just chase bucks all night......Plus I don't feel the program works in the first place. Once the trucks leave the fields, the herds come right back in to feed.

Taking out a fewdoes a night does not solve the problem....There's too damn many of them.

PS...I look at your avatar and feel Farley's pain........I loved that guy.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:06 PM
Dominant Buck

I have a friend who has 500 acres and 200 of that is planted in Water Melons. No matterhow many permits he is granted, all the deer in the areawill find his farm.

It's usually when the plants start to flower and the plants are tender, not so much when therunners are hard and the melons developed, but some do come!