Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Food Plot guys..a couple questions

Old 01-04-2007, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Food Plot guys..a couple questions

1) What mixture works best in a sunny but constantly damp field?

2) I'm more interested in aiding the antler and herd developement than a hunting plot. So I'm thinking spring early summer growth.

3) Does anyone use a disc plow attachement for an ATV and do they work as well as advertised?

4)What would you reccomend..I have a 500 Suzuki 4x4 so I should be able to pull pretty well.

5) How big should this plot be to make an impact?

Thanks and I welcome all input..I'd be new to "plots" but my farmer says he would allow me to put one in..he may even take care of the field plowing.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:17 AM

Default RE: Food Plot guys..a couple questions

Wildlife Management forum would be the best place to get your answers for this one.

But, Ill take my best shot.

1) Clover likes moisture, so do alot of other mixtures. Read up on labels and websites and see what works the best. A soil test might also help you determine the NPK ratio and PH within the soil, which will also restrict or expand what you can/cant grow.
2) Minerals and calcium are the keys then I think
3) Never used one, so couldnt tell you. I pull a 50" tiller behind my kubota and it works dandy. I have heard good things about discs though.
4)You suzuki should do well, though if you have alot of clay/rocks in the soil, it might have a tougher time turning the earth.
5) As BIG as you can make it...

Hope this was helpful...
Old 01-04-2007, 09:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Campo

Wildlife Management forum would be the best place to get your answers for this one.

But, Ill take my best shot.

1) Clover likes moisture, so do alot of other mixtures. Read up on labels and websites and see what works the best. A soil test might also help you determine the NPK ratio and PH within the soil, which will also restrict or expand what you can/cant grow.
2) Minerals and calcium are the keys then I think
3) Never used one, so couldnt tell you. I pull a 50" tiller behind my kubota and it works dandy. I have heard good things about discs though.
4)You suzuki should do well, though if you have alot of clay/rocks in the soil, it might have a tougher time turning the earth.
5) As BIG as you can make it...

Hope this was helpful...
Vey helpful..I learned there was a Wildlife management forum lol..How about that!
Old 01-04-2007, 09:31 AM

Oh, the things your learn in a day...
Old 01-04-2007, 09:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Campo covered pretty well, one thing I did was contact MSU(Michigan State) they are a big ag school. I talk to a guy and heis a great guy, he gave(free) clover seed. What makes this stuff great is does not have to be replanted every 5 years. It will last 15-20 years, he also gave me roundup alpha. I just sprayed the field with roundup, and spread my alpha. They only thing came up was Alpha
Old 01-06-2007, 02:32 AM

HEY WELCOME TO FOOD PLOT HQ. A LIFE TIME OF KNOWLEDGE AND JOKES..
ID PLANT BEANS ,MANY VARIETYS TO CHOSE FROM . CORN SOUNDS LIKE IT COULD BE A WINNER FOR YOU ,TURNIPS AKA BRASSSICA IS A GREAT PROTIEN FOR ANTLER GROWTH. IF YOU CAN GET SOME LEGUMES TO GROW ITALSO A HEALTHY CHOICE.OR A VARIETY OF CLOVER WILL COVER YOUR NEEDS TO AID IN OVER ALL HERD HEALTH.
YOUR CHOICE TO GROW FOR SPRING AND SUMMER IS THE BEST IDEA .YOU IMPACT HEARD HEALTH AND GROW RACK. ALSO WINTER PLOT PLANTING IS COMMONLY OVER LOOKED BECOUSE YOU DONT GROW RACK YOU GROW HEALTHY BABYSDURING PREGNANCY ALSO THE AVALIBLE FOOD SOURCES DETERMINE HERD DEVELOPMENT. I WAS JUST READING A REPORT FROM TEXAS A&M ABOUT HOW IMPORTANT WINTER PLOTS ARE BECOUSE THE WINTER FOOD SOURCES ARE MORE LIKELY TO BE UNDER TO MUCH PRESSURE AND PLAY OUT SOONER ,NEXT YEAR I WILL HIT WINTER UP WITH A FULL ASSALT.
ATV DISCS ARE VERY POPULAR .THE TREND IS NOT SLOWING DOWN .TRY MONROE TUFFLINE ,SUMMIT TREESTANDS ATV ,LAND PRIDE ,TECOMATE , THESE HAVE UNITS YOU MAY BE INTRUSTED IN . IUSEA CASE TRACTOR .
YOUR 500 WILL BE ABLE TO PULL ANY OF THESE SUJESTIONS LISTED ABOVE
THE PLOT SIZE IS BIGGER IS BETTER .1/8 ACRE IS NOT GOING TO IM PACT THE PROPERTY IN A BIG WAY .THE BUCK DR SAYS 1/4 ACRE FOR EVERY ACRE OF TOTAL HABITAT YOU OWN .1/4 ACRE WOULD BE MY SMALLEST SUJJESTION . THE TONAGE IS IMPRESSIVE FOR 1/4 ACRE AND BIGGER TO PROVIDE AN IMPACT TO OVER ALL HERD HEALTH ..HOPE THIS HELPS YOU OUT.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

As others have mentioned, a CLOVER blend would be awesome and would certainly put the maximum amount ofnutrtion into yoiur loacl herd. Also as mentioned, make the plot as big as possible especially if you plan on labeling the plot as nutrtional. The deer will hammer a quality clover plot like Tecomote Monster Mix. Good luck and good planting

Also, TEXOMAWILDplease do not type in CAPS, this is an indication of yelling and/or anger. It also makes it uncomfortable to read. Thanks