Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Mild Winters?

Old 01-06-2007, 11:45 AM
Typical Buck

Default Mild Winters?

Hey you guys I've got a question usaully right now in my a\neck of the woods I'd be outside snowblowing the driveway but it's sunny out and 50-60 degrees what do you think that this will do for next years season and should i plant my foodplots now or wait awhile to see what is going to happen?
Old 01-06-2007, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mild Winters?

Definitely wait. This weather may only be a temporary fluke (and is most likely). Next week in my area, temperatures are going to go back down to the mid 40s as highs. Mild winters like this are good for the game in the sense that they don't have to fight the cold obviously, access to food sources is much better and easier (don't have to dig through inches of snow and ice to get to anything consumable). The problem as far as growing is concerned is that this mild weather is bringing about unusuall changes in the environment that usally occur during the early spring (buds are shooting, flowers are starting to come out, I even saw a flock of geese flying north the other day), and like I said, this weather is can change in an instant (remember we are still in the heart of winter, and thus all it takes is a couple hard frosts and those blooming plants, etc are damaged and depending on the species and the conditions, they may not come back in the spring.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

No way! Planting times are critical for any seeds success. You MUST follow manufacturers suggestions for maximum yield and production. If it's a Spring planting that you're waiting on then wait til Spring. Best of luck
Old 01-07-2007, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

You might be able to do some Field Prep work. I plowed last week with the mild winter on a Sod Field - where corn will go next may.

I have another plot like this that if the mild winter continues - I'll also plow.

You could also put down lime now - or pick rocks - I would NOT put any seed or fertilizer down now.

FH

Old 01-07-2007, 08:08 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: greenboy

Hey you guys I've got a question usaully right now in my a\neck of the woods I'd be outside snowblowing the driveway but it's sunny out and 50-60 degrees what do you think that this will do for next years season and should i plant my foodplots now or wait awhile to see what is going to happen?
I would think that it would be really, really important if you told us what state you are in.