Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 A couple questions on lime and starting a plot >

A couple questions on lime and starting a plot

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

A couple questions on lime and starting a plot

Old 04-16-2004, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default A couple questions on lime and starting a plot

I'm planning on going to Wal mart and Home Depot tomorrow and checking out their lime selection. I'm planning on buying pulverized lime becuase of the cheap price and the out of the way plot I will be spreading it on. I figure I can haul the bags back to the plot with me. But how should I spread it? I've read of people just cutting the bag and slinging it but I'm wondering if a push along fertilizer/seed spreader would work? Or will the pulverized lime not do well in it? Also, should I go ahead and start spraying the weeds and grasses that are coming in now and continue spraying all through the summer or should I wait until late summer/ early fall before I plant? Thanks for the help.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:03 PM

Default RE: A couple questions on lime and starting a plot

I always put down 50/50 pellet/hot lime. I would spray the weeds and keep them sprayed until planting. Home Depot will be high on the lime. If your not using much it might not be a big deal but a farm store will be better, if you have one. Slinging the hot lime is the only way other then a special spreader, as far as i know. This is why i do 50/50 i know that the ph will be more even because the pellet lime is even. Hope i help.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:29 AM

I can't believe that you don't have a Farm Bureau or a Co-op in you area. Bulk lime should run about $25 a ton. 1000lbs. on a pickup would run you $12.50, ($1.25/100lbs.) Check with the local Rent-a-Center if they have a pullbehind spreader The Coop may have them but they may be too big. You didn't say how hard it is to get to your site, but if you can get a pickup in, a gas leaf blower would spread that lime, one driving, 1 apreading. Do a little research.

Russ
Old 04-21-2004, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

The plot is a little difficult to get to. I think it could be done in a smaller size truck. But that would only get me in the general vicinity. I wouldn't be able to drive directly to it though. So the leaf blower idea is out of the question.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

how big an area are we talking?
ATVs work good for this type of work. If you can get (buy or rent/borrow) a tow behind or rack mounted spreader for an ATV, it would make your work much easier (they are worth the $250 if you have other uses for it - more seeding, salting in winter, spreading corn) Keep in mind that you will need pelletalized lime with these type of spreaders (yes it does add cost). The other lime will sieze up and plug a machine without a good auger. I seeded (lime, fert, seed) ~.5 ac. of logging road with a rack mounted spreader and it worked very good (it was still alot of work though)
Old 04-21-2004, 09:17 PM
TJD
Fork Horn

First, before you go out and spend the money, I would recommend a soil test to see how much lime you need, if any, and how much fertilizer. The tests only cost a few bucks, but may save you plenty of money in fertilizer and lime.

As for the weeds, if you are planting the plot new, I would spray with Round-up now or very soon, then disc it up in about one week later. You can use a grass-specific herbicide like Poast if you are planting beans or clovers, and that should keep down grasses.

Good Luck with the plot!
Old 04-21-2004, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have the soil test done and we disced the plot a few weeks back. I haven't had a chance to check it for a few weeks but 2 weeks after it was disced I checked on it and there were no weeds growing yet. I'm sure by now there is some. Shouldn't I wait until the weeds get taller before spraying them? I've always heard they should be close to 6 inches.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:03 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-24-2004, 05:33 AM
Fork Horn

If the plot is large enough you can hire someone to spread the lime. Lime can be cheap when bought in bulk ($6-40 ton delivered and spread) If it's small just spread it with the spreader or by throwing it around. The key to making it work fast is throughly mixing it in the top 4-5" of ground. If you mix it it will deacidify up to 5x quicker. If not it may take up to a year or longer. Lime doesn't move thru the soil it goes only where you take it.

DISK-DISK-DISK and DISK some more
Old 04-24-2004, 01:41 PM
Spike

I am having 6000 lbs spread for me for for $75.00. It might be worth your effort to call around and see if someone will spread it for you. It's really cheap this way. If it is really hard to get at they may not want to come. Trees tend to rip mirrors and other pieces off of trucks. Best of luck.

Quick Reply: A couple questions on lime and starting a plot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.