Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Couple questions re. plot location

Old 01-31-2002, 11:57 PM

Default Couple questions re. plot location

I plan to plant about 1 acre of Mossy Oaks Clover plus on a 126 acre tract. I have two locations in mind and would like what ever input you guys can offer. One is a utility right of way that runs accross the property at an angle is provides enough security as the edges of the lane are pretty thick. Deer travel both accross and along the right of way, and it can not be seen from any public road. I am concerned though as the power co. will bush hog it every third year and it would be fairly easily found by a tresspasser. The second is a very heavily used area made up of scattered cedars and pine surrounded by hardwoods and a good thorn briar and honeysuckle thicket. It is a fairly open area and I would have to bush hog the scrub and sage down before I even thought about breaking dirt. I favor the second location but I have heard the pines will cause problems with soil ph. Also does anyone think that planting a food source in an area that is already well used for signifigant scraping and rubbing could possibly turn this area into a nocturnal feeding area. As it is this area is pretty active as far as day light use. My goal is to bring more deer to the property in general but I would sure hate to dammage what Ive got now. Thanks for your thoughts all help is appreciated .........hill
Old 02-01-2002, 06:34 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-01-2002, 07:23 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Couple questions re. plot location

Brian said some good things!
That place where you already have the rutting going on, I would leave alone. It may take years to develop an area like that, and you can destroy it in an afternoon.

I wouldn't be to concerned about pines, time and lime work wonders. I can also just about guarentee it's not worse than my soil. My plots are all lined in pine/spruce/tamerack/tag alder/fir/cedar, with first time soil ph levels around 5-some more some less.

Make sure your plots have little human disturbance, and are situated in ways to not only funnel deer movement by taking advantage of bedding areas/natural runways, but to allow you to avoid them in the entrance and exit of your stand locations.

If these are you only plots, I'd make sure to stick with an acre minimum, with 2-3 1 acre plots perferred. It's better to have 3 1 acre plots, than 1 3 acre plot.

Have fun and thing strategic.

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan.
Old 02-01-2002, 08:37 AM

Sounds like you have two very good locations to plant. You might want to consider planting both locations 1/2 acre each. Plant 1/2 acre on the utility right of way in the middle of your property or in the most secure location you have in the right of way. The deer will cross the right of way even during the day because they feel secure and they will stop to browse their too. You can always plant more later. I would plant a 1/2 acre plus or minus in you second location and make that plot irregular shaped. By keeping the plot small in the second location you can leave much of the natural habitat intact and by making the shape irregular you may not have to disturb too much.
If the deer are already using the area during the daylight hours really well and feel secure, the only thing that will hurt is that if you over hunt the two planted area's. Otherwise you will be fine and the plots will definately make your property more attractive for the deer.
Old 02-02-2002, 09:24 AM
Typical Buck

Either place sounds good... Planting a wood line out to 30 yards will greatly enhance your situation...