Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

well point questions

Old 06-24-2006, 04:33 PM

Default well point questions

I need some help. The property I own is lacking any sort of water source for wildlife. Have been putting in various food plots for the past decade with success but feel that not having a water source has hindered my hunting. I've tries digging out drainage ponds at the base of several of the valleys but do not have alot of steep runoff area for the water to collect. so the effects were minimal.

Was comtemplating the idea of pounding in a well point and installing a hand pump. Though I could dig in one of those black yard pond pools in and hand pump the water into the pool every couple of days to keep the deer watered.

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated

Old 06-24-2006, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: well point questions

How deep is your water table? What type of soil? Has any neighbors done this? If so ask how deep they had to go. No good if rocky soil. Even is sandy there is a chance you could hit rock before water.

Suggest you talk to a wll driller. He can give you a lot of info.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:08 AM

first you will have to drive caseing down till you set it on a hard rock.then drill that out through the rock. when you break through the rock , you should have water.

thats the way we do it in and around our hunt camps. we have drilled 8 or 9 over the years.some it only took a weekend, others it took several weekends to get water.depends on how thick the rock , and how far it is to the water table.
lots of work, good luck , hope you get water soon.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Do you have enough wind to run a windmill pump?
Old 06-25-2006, 10:53 AM

Yeah my neighbor did it for watering a garden. Said he only had to go down 12-14 feet and he got below the water table. Soil is very sandy here but yeah I am worried about hitting a rock once I get going.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:01 AM

I had thought about that but that seems very spendy. I believe there would be enough wind to run it.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:14 AM

If it is sandy soil be sure to have some screen to keep the sand from entering your pipes. Just like the screen in the diagram. You should not have a problem reaching the water table in the sandy soil. And, get down a couple of feet into the water table in case you experience drought situations. Keep in mind that the water table will generally be closer to the top of the ground in low spots and deeper in high spots. If you can find old creek beds and ravines you should be closer to the water table. Let us know how it goes.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:32 PM

If your are far from bedrock then you will be ok. But if the rock is close then you are screwed and would have to drill through the rock. If you have a large deep dirt/clay base then keep driving that thing as far as you can. A friend put one in and his works great for a hand pump but the well points are not enough for electric pumps as they go dry and cant keep up with a high volume pump. You should be fine just don't have bad luck and put it right over a big rock!!!
Old 06-27-2006, 05:39 AM

The problem I see for your set up is if your in the sandy part of Wisc. is that what you pump out has to go to a watering trough of some sort. (Fleet Farm has fiber glass or plastic ones) You can't put it into a pond unless its lined with all the sand in the area.Alot of the people in the Wautoma ,Red Granite as well as all through that area up to StevensPoint and west, have sand points. You go down till you get a good supply of water and your set. If you hit a rock you pull your pipe and move, it's the luck of the draw. There are no sure ways of doing it without the chance of hitting a rock. If you go up where I am in Sawyer Co your garenteed of hitting rock. Good luck and go for it, if you hit water in under 25 feet you have no big investment in it. Like what was said earlier if others in the area have them, why not try it?