Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 drop point knife questions >

drop point knife questions

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

drop point knife questions

Old 08-25-2006, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default drop point knife questions

anyone use virginia blade knives. thinking of getting the Bull Dog II. Reason is it uses good hard steel and is a shorter fixed blade with a gut hook. kind of pricey tho!But im a firm believer in the saying (get what u pay for).also what knives do u all use for field dress and an all around woods knife?
Old 08-27-2006, 07:58 PM

Default RE: drop point knife questions

Haven't heard of those knives before. I did just look them up though...it's an interesting design, but not what I'd be looking for. It would work fine for skinning, but ideally I'd still like a somewhat longer blade. I chose to go with the textured rubber handle on my Buck instead ofa laquered wood handle, as it's a lot less likely to slip when you're hands are wet. I'd have to use their knives before I'd commit to one, but the specs sound good. Out of the two handle options that they offer, the wood I'm sure looks better, but for a functional knife I'd stick with the synthetic.

Currently I use either a Buck Zipper or a Case folder (looks similar to a Buck 110) for all the field work. Having the guthook is nice for a deer dressing knife on the Buck, but for general use I'd rather stick to something without it. The Buck has ok steel...nothing great but you can get through a deer without having to touch it up, and can go through a couple if you're not too picky about how sharp it is. The Case has much better steel...takes a better edge and keeps it longer, but the clip point isn't as forgiving as a drop point. One of these days I'd love to get my hands on a Randall or something else equivalent, but it'll be a while before I scrape together those kind of funds.