Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 field point vs. broadhead impact point >

field point vs. broadhead impact point

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

field point vs. broadhead impact point

Old 09-07-2006, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default field point vs. broadhead impact point

I have been shooting my Mathews for 5 years, and early this year changed my string and cables out again, retuned it, and resighted it in with field points(which amounted to adjusting my peep sight to the right height and bingo!). For the life of the bow it has been that my field points hit 5 yards shorter than my broadheads. So my 30 yard broadhead pin is on at 25 for field tips. I sighted it in for my broadheads this year and had to make some major adjustments. They were hitting right and low. So now, instead of just having to make a 5 yard adjustment to practice, the field points are hitting a foot left and instead of being 5 yards short are 5 yards long (i.e. 30 yard broadhead pin is on at 35 for field points). I just can't figure out what is going on. It is dead on with the broadheads, and the bow is tuned perfectly. Any ideas? I can put up with it, but it makes it a pain to practice when you know you aren't going to hit what you are aiming at. It also makes a McKensie pointless when you have to aim for the guts to get a lung hit.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: field point vs. broadhead impact point

Sounds to me like your rest needs to be tuned. Here is the link for the Easton Archery tuning guide. Go to the broadhead tuning section and follow it methodically. It'll work I promise, unless you have bigger issues with the bow which it doesn't sound like you have. After you tune your rest properly both field points and BH's will hit the same place.

http://www.eastonarchery.com/downloads.asp

Your broadheads magnify the imperfections of an arrows flight.

Goodluck, this should get you fixed up.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:04 AM
Fork Horn

something is not right, either your rest/bow needs to be tuned again or maybe you are using a different grain fieldpoint than broadheads causing a change in your arrows spine which would result in the directional misses, however, at that distance you should not have any trouble. i would say a tuning rehaul is in order. Did you paper tune it at diferent distances? try it, it may surprise you ( 5 feet, 15, 20 ect)
Old 09-07-2006, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just what is your bow tuned for? Paper tuned? That isn't tuning. That's just seeing that the arrow leaves the bow cleanly. It's rough tuning. It doesn't show you what the arrow is doing down range, and that's where it counts.

As mentioned, Easton's tuning guide will help you get things straight. When your bow is tuned properly both field points and broadheads will hit the same place and fly well getting there. This assumes that your arrows are spined correctly and you have helical or at least offset fletching to control the arrows.

You have in the past assumed your bow was tuned, but then you shot braodheads and were hitting a little high. Well, those blades up front were just showing that your bow was not tuned to the nth degree, but close. 1/32" in nock point adjustment would have probably made both points hit the same place, and you'd have never see the difference in flight or paper shots with field points. Broadheads emphasize those little imperfections.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the inputs. I will check out what Easton has on their site.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:44 AM
Fork Horn

DITTO what BGFisher says!!

TP