Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Plastic tip and spire point,or Hollow point >

Plastic tip and spire point,or Hollow point

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Plastic tip and spire point,or Hollow point

Old 02-26-2006, 09:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Plastic tip and spire point,or Hollow point

Do you think it really makes much differance to go from a 200 gr. Shock Wave to a 200gr. XTP hollow point in 40 cal. I don't have quite enough open space to dp testing at that distance. Lee
Old 02-26-2006, 09:56 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Plastic tip and spire point,or Hollow point

Lee-I shoot both but I lose accuracy with the XTP if I push it too fast.Others have had different results.I have always loaded the XTP with 90-100gr.I shoot the Shockwave at 110-120gr.

Charlie
Old 02-26-2006, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hollow-points are fine out to 150 yards. They may go flat-line after that distance-- butI won't try itin my guns. I don't want to gamble -so if I'm on a ridge or hunting open fields that look-out beyond 150, I'll grab my Omega & use a high BC poly-tip. Under 150 - I always go with a soft hollow-point.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have both, but I had a feeling that I would be losing long range capability if I used the XTP, the fact that you can't normally push a hollow point as had and keep that fine edge of accuracy I have run into before when reloading. I wish some one sold a copy of the SW in bulk for a reasonable price. Well I guess its try to find a way to use one for pratice and the other for hunting; I do hunt one place where I might need to shoot 200+ if I can do so consistantly enough. Thanks Guys Lee
Old 02-26-2006, 03:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Lee,

It must be one of those gunthings, the 200 XTP's (and talking the 10mm 200 XTP's not the 45's) shoot better for me with 110 grains of T7 than they do with a 100 grains...

If they were legal in Idaho, I would use them even for a 200 yard shot. You have seen my ballistic print out and I have shoot them at paper plates at 175 yards. Here is the deal for me - for me to consider a 200 yard shot all of the elemnts would need to be in my favor. If the elements we in my favor - I would take the 200 little + yards if I needed to with the XTP - the energy is there and I know the flight path - everything else being equal... but her is the other half - for me and all the years I have been in Idaho - both deer and elk - I could count on one hand how many 150 yard shots I have taken either with the 270 or the 300 win mag. I might need a part of the other to count 100 + yard shots, I think I can easily say 90% of my shot are under 100 - so the XTP will work fine for me.

Just my 2 bits...

Old 02-26-2006, 05:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

sabotloader, There is a special spot in this refuge thats coverd with brush where I sit and watched several bucks walk slowly across this long straight dirt road with a ditch on each side, they usually stand and look before they jump to leave the road,after watching 9 deer of which 3 were good buck and all were legal all ranged from 130 to 200 yards none of which did I shoot at But I will put in for a tag there next year [they did not even fill enough to make it a drawing so I am sure of a tag] ofcourse we won't talk about the one that walk out 20yds away and looked the other way,after that I did not have any tags so I had to leave. Next year I will be ready. Lee
Old 02-26-2006, 05:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Lee

So in that description and with a good gun rest - that is probably a do-able shot for me, especially if you get in early in the preseason attach some ribbon at given ranges out to 225. These ribbons will be your range finder and your wind indicators.

Old 02-26-2006, 06:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sabotloader,I have a spot picked out for a stand nobody else has been hunting the area.its a very string straight road and I will put up markers at 100,150 and 200 in each direction I will have a rest as there is one built on the stand,but as I am quite comfortable with out one its not critical.
I am not sure what some of this differance between the bullets with a plastic nose and with out I sat down with a calculater and the way I figure it there is only about 2 inches differance at 250 yards and most of that is in the last 50. Am I missing something? A friend [police officer] had to put down a big deer that got tangled in a big fence,he used a 10mm auto said it went in the shoulder behind the bone and out the other side in the same place with the same bullet we are talking about said it left alargehole about the diameter of a 20ga. coming out.Lee
Old 02-26-2006, 09:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

lemoyne

Go for it. It is well thought out and a plan is in place....

I agree with youon the 10mm downrange assesment.And good-ness knows you have a lot of time to work out your load across the ranges you might shoot. I would like to shoot tese same ranges and do the same testing with the XTP - but since I can not use it is Idaho, I really do not know how much I will shoot it, BUT I really do like the bullet.

Do you shoot pellets or loose? Which powder?

Old 02-27-2006, 11:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

sabotloader,I use just about every thing, I think I would have to say that I use APP and APP sticks the most. I still keep and use P and RS and 50 &30gr pellets I have 4 grads of Black [I like floured blasting powder for priming the flinter] I have some Gold and some Pinnacle that I am trying I even have a couple or 3 jugs of that 777 though it just don't seem to do anything but make crud rings. The APP works well with this load either as 150 FFloose or 3 X50 gr sticks. I do have real good luck with FF and it suprises me so many people are saying its no good because of the granule size its giving me very good accuracy with high velocity and low pressure.
I will be working on it to see what the XTP's will do. Lee

Quick Reply: Plastic tip and spire point,or Hollow point

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.