Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 1st time food plotter... Need Help!!! >

1st time food plotter... Need Help!!!

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

1st time food plotter... Need Help!!!

Old 06-06-2006, 09:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default 1st time food plotter... Need Help!!!

Hello everyone I have a couple of places on my family farm that I want to plant a couple food plots and I was wondering what everyone thought I should plant... I live in Central Oklahoma and we haven't gotten a whole lot of rain and it gets pretty windy here... if that helps... And when should I have it in the ground or is it too late..On thefarm we already have2 big fields of Wheat and one big alfalfa... But I just want something that is off the road so they feel more comfortable. Any help would be great...

Thanks,
Chris
Old 06-06-2006, 09:45 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 1st time food plotter... Need Help!!!

you got some rain this morning.

you could plant soybeans now, and somewheat in the fall, then clover in the spring.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:18 PM

I'd give a chicory clover mix a try or go with a fall blend of brassica, dwarf essex rape, and sugarbeets. The Chicory has a REALLY deep root and is ver drought tolerant. So are the sugarbeets. Just a thought for you?!
Old 06-14-2006, 02:22 PM
Fork Horn

I agree, Clover next spring is great for helping the deer coming off the hard winters, and they absolutely go crazy for it.
I'm a big fan of Biologic Full Draw for the fall season. Maybe look into some corn or soybeans for late season.

Something else you could try is to call the Whitetail Institute and for about $10 you can get a sampler pack of about 5 different types of food plots plus an instructional video. Each one is only 100 sq. ft. but follow the planting directions/times and see which ones your deer prefer.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:27 PM

I would give Biologic Premium Blenda try. Has Clover, Chicory for the drought times and has Brassica for winter. The Brassica is an annual, so you will need to re-seed every spring by broadcasting, etc. JIMO. Good Luck!