Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 First time food plotter >

First time food plotter

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First time food plotter

Old 03-29-2009, 06:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default First time food plotter

Hey I was just hoping I could soak up some info from those of you who are experienced with food plots. On the property I hunt there really isn't any open spaces to plant a food plot because the farmer plants them. So my girlfriend's dad and I were going to try and clear an area in the woods as best we could and try and make a small food plot that way. I was just wondering how big should it be so it doesn't get destroyed within a matter of a week or two since it can't be extremely big. Also what food plots work good without a lot of sun. The area we are thinking about is probably about 1/4 to 1/2 of an acre and it gets decent sunlight. We both are new to food plots so any help would be great. If this info is needed we are located in southwest michigan. Not to sure when we should plant as well.

Thanks,
-Joe
Old 03-29-2009, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First time food plotter

this is the same thing i am doin and i am making my food plot about a half acre
Old 03-30-2009, 11:14 AM
Fork Horn

Alfalfa's work extremely well for low sunlight areas or I do know cabelas has a mix called seculsion blend that is for low sunlight area'sdepending on the size of the deer herd it will get mowed down right away with activity as they really like the tender seedlings so you can do a couple of things one is the plot saver ribon kit that works pretty well or electric fence has worked well when we had one nearby already and just tied into it.

Good luck!
Old 03-31-2009, 11:29 PM
Fork Horn

Is there anything else that is really hardy and can stand up to a lot of foraging from the deer as well as something that will draw them in. Thanks
Old 04-01-2009, 04:52 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: joemr1288

Is there anything else that is really hardy and can stand up to a lot of foraging from the deer as well as something that will draw them in. Thanks
annual or perenial
Old 04-01-2009, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are several products on the market for low light plots. One is called Secret Spot. I used it one year, did not have the best of luck with it. It grew well, but the deer in my area did not seem to care for it. You may have better results, it is hard to say.

My advise to you would be to get the area cleared and sprayed for weeds. Take a soil sample and go to your local FS. After the soil sample comes back, ask them what you need to add to the soil and ask what seed they would recommend. You can bet you will at least need to lime the area and add some 10/10/10 (or higher) before planting. The FS will be able to help out with seed selection. Good luck!
Old 04-01-2009, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

What ever you do put some Sugar Beets in with the mix.

Especially for a fall planting.

I have just about given up on spring planting.

I spend the spring planting money on mineral supplements and have seen definite results in 2 years.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.whitetailinstitute.com/products/extreme/

I have had success with this stuff in woods settings. It's handles not getting rain and lower than perfect PH as well as a lack of sunlight.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

No Plow by Whitetail Institute is another product you can use in the woods, used it last year and the deer were all over it.

Shane
Old 04-02-2009, 05:58 PM
Typical Buck

Rake the ground over and then pack it down. Spread the seed and rake over it again. TAAAADAAAH!

Quick Reply: First time food plotter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.