Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

apple trees

Old 06-08-2006, 08:11 PM
Spike

Default RE: apple trees

We planted six semi-dwarf appletrees in mid May this year andthey seem to be doing good.I have heard that they are alot of maintence but I gave it a try.We have been saying we should have planted them years ago but never got around to it. We have had fair amount of rain in upstate N.Y. this is helping our trees and 1 acre clover plot that we planted this year. What should I go with the trees this year?Should we fertilize? I am worried about the insects. What kind of insecticide do I use? Thanks for the help.

Old 06-09-2006, 04:03 AM
Typical Buck

Timber - At this stage of the game, you can get away with ageneric commercial or homemade apple tree spray that has captan and malathion. Why spray? - an ounce of preventionmay save a pound of cure... There is lots of web info on spraying apples, just google "apple spray schedule". Here is a good link for small orchards: http://www.applesource.com/growtips.html#spray.
Good luck, post some pics. -fsh

Old 06-12-2006, 07:04 PM

1sag, I'm with you!! We have problems with bears all the time!! We use tree tubes to keep the deer away, and the cubs think they are toys!! We have atleast 2 dozen tubes that are loaded with claw and teeth holes!! Also, they like to climb the white pines that my dad has planted. They snap the center stem off, and that's the end of the tree!!
Old 06-13-2006, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've got bears but I've got so many apple trees that they must get their fill from windfalls and the lower branches. It's interesting to hear what problems others are running into. That's one good point about this forum, there are experiences from a wide range of areas.

Dan O.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:20 PM

ORIGINAL: TimberWolves

We planted six semi-dwarf appletrees in mid May this year andthey seem to be doing good.I have heard that they are alot of maintence but I gave it a try.We have been saying we should have planted them years ago but never got around to it. We have had fair amount of rain in upstate N.Y. this is helping our trees and 1 acre clover plot that we planted this year. What should I go with the trees this year?Should we fertilize? I am worried about the insects. What kind of insecticide do I use? Thanks for the help.
The dwarrfs will start to produce apples in 2 years..We planted couple of them and just let nature take care of them..They are not that much care as people say they are.... We did nothing to them other than give them a dose of water and thru in a food spike when planted..Just fence them in to keep the animals from bebarking them and you should be fine with them...