Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Dan O - Help on Apple trees!

Old 03-13-2003, 10:23 AM

Default Dan O - Help on Apple trees!

Hey Dan - wonder how I go about controlling the grasses that grow around the base of my Apple trees? Can I use bark or saw dust over the grasses to block them out or should I somehow strip them away then do this to prevent growth? Is it better to do this cover before the grasses begin to grow again in the spring?

Also can you give me your imput on Sawtooth Oak in my area the of Northeastern PA mountains where the soil is around 5.0.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 03-13-2003, 12:22 PM

Default RE: Dan O - Help on Apple trees!

Hey Cleeby, Dan O told me once to put a handful of dirt from an apple tree that is produceing good by each tree you plant. There are quite a few apple orchards here and thats what I did. I thought it was a little screwy but did it and the guy I got the dirt from said it was a good idea. and not an uncommon practice. I just thought of this and its not an answer to your question just andFYI. terry
Old 03-13-2003, 01:28 PM

Thanks Terry,

Yeah sounds a bit wierd but who knows.

Kevin
Old 03-13-2003, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

The best mulch that I' ve found is chips from a wood chipper. You need it at least 4' diameter (6' is better) and 6" deep. The mulch can be put down any time but put a tree guard on first. Sawdust is known to tie up soil nitrogen as it tries to break down. It also compacts. Hay and straw need several layers in a year to keep the required depth. Roundup will keep the weeds down but doesn' t offer the advantages of a mulch (moisture, temperature and bacteria). Leave the grass as it will break down and not grow if the mulch is thick enough.

Most trees are in symbiotic relationships with soil bacteria and organisms. It a tree is growing well the chances are that these organisms are present. A handful of soil from a very nice tree is a good innoculation of the soil for your new tree. They sell comercial innoculants for forestry trees. It isn' t black magic.

Sawtooth oak should be OK depending on your climate zone. Some areas of Pa. in the mountains are very short seasoned. I want some seed to try in my 5b property.

Dan O.