Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Couple of seed questions

Old 05-24-2006, 09:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default Couple of seed questions

Im in the process of moving to our new place where Im gonna plant a couple small food plots probably an acre in size each hopefully.

I found a bad of "Whitetail Blend" 50lb bag, that is 2 years olds, Its wheat and oats mostly, Is it OK to use it since its 2 years old. Im not sure what the shelf life is on it.

Also, Is it to late to plant any corn or soybeans this time of year? Its getting hot and dry. Im gonna definately plant some stuff in late August/early September like a wheat and oaks mix, can I plant soybeans and corn in the fall to?

Thanks for any help.

Also, I can plant more area but its mostly wooded, it not super thick, there is some sunlight but not a whole lot.

Will anything grow good in mostly shade, anything better for shade. Thanks.

Old 05-24-2006, 11:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Couple of seed questions

They say wheat and oats have a shelf life of about 2 years.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:54 AM

It doesn't hurt to try and plant them. You might need to up the seed rate to make sure you have enough germination. As for corn and soybeans, soybeans are usually planted at this time corn is typically already done but I'm in Louisiana. It depends on where you are located. Same goes for fall plantings. Soybeans don't do well with cold weather so if you're not in the deeper south you shouldn't plant soybeans in the fall.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:28 AM
Typical Buck

Now is just right for the soybeans for maximum yield. The corn is late, but is still worth planting. You don't say where you are or what equipment you have. If you don't have much equipment, get the beans in with whatever you do have, and forget the rest 'till Fall. Get yourself a new bag of wheat or oats and plant in the first half of October. Many hours can be invested in prep work for a late planting and results are usually marginal. Go fishing instead. Good luck!
Old 05-25-2006, 10:20 AM
Typical Buck

feed that bag of seed to the birds.

don't invest your time/money/future on a bag of inexpensive2 year old seed.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:20 PM

I agree with psandhu. I tried planting some forage oats that were 2 years old and it turned out to be a waste of time and fertilizer. The germination wasnt worth a darn.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:13 PM

I don't know if any of you watch the history channel, but they found wheat in the egyptian tombs a couple of years ago and planted it and it grew. Then they talked about how it's a scientific fact that a seed will last forever if kept in the right atmosphere, dry, and dormant. I don't know how it grew, but it did. Seed if stored properly should be okay. The Egypt seed was alot older than 2 years old, I'd say give it a shot, it couldn't hurt! I found some Bodacious sweet corn in my grandpap's house and planted it. It's up and about three inches tall and my grandpap passed 5 years ago. Just my opinion, I don't know, just my experiences.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

I didnt mean I was just gonna plant it, I would be using it up with whatever new seed I get.

BTW, Im in North Arkansas, have access to some farm equipment, tractor, disk, blade, drag, etc. but I dont have it close.

Thanks for the help.