Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

couple of questions

Old 05-27-2006, 04:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default couple of questions

Im trying to work up a food plot for this 10 acres I got, Its wooded right now, a few patches are pretty thick but its mostly large oak trees with small weeds and small brush growed up 2 to 4 feet.

Im not sure weather to cut out some trails leading to the plot and the pond or just leave it alone. Also, I thought about bush hogging th place but after thinking , the deer might prefer it a little growed for some cover, their isn't much cover behind my place, only across the road.

BTW there are faintly existing trails the cut right threw where my food plot will be, with many deer tracks on them also.

So should I let it grow up a little or clear some of it out.

Also, Its got a catfish pond on it, and I thought about stocking a few bass in it, will it ruin the catfishing or will it be OK as long as there is plenty of room for each species? Thanks.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: couple of questions

Deer love thickets, and I would bet that a lot of the weeds you see out there are preferred, high protein plants that deer love. I would plan my plot and establish my access road to the plot using a route from the south or east as most of the winter winds are from the north or west. You will need to get your tractor in there anyway, and a quiet route will be needed for hunting.
Most of the catfish ponds have other species of fish than catfish, but if this one doesn't, remember that the bass will require some sort of forage fish like bream.
Old 05-28-2006, 05:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: couple of questions

Yeah, I really wanted to let it be now, kinda growed up, but my Bowhunting buddy keeps telling me I need to clear it out a little, its not to thick for a human to walk through so it aint to thick for deer.

Imgonna let it grow.