Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Couple of Questions >

Couple of Questions

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Couple of Questions

Old 02-11-2002, 01:57 PM

Default Couple of Questions

1. I found a Browning Backdraft for $200 - new - needs limbs replaced and string since some bonehead dry fired it. Is this a good price and is this a good bow

2. What are the advantages and disadvantages with split limbs?

Thanks
Old 02-11-2002, 04:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Couple of Questions

NO! It is not a good price. I wouldn't give that much for the thing if it was in pristine condition. Certainly not after being dry fired.

There is a very good possibility that a lot of other stuff is wrong with it as well. The axles could be bent. The cams could be bent. Even the riser could be bent. The bow is no longer in production, so getting parts for it would be likely be a major league pain.

I have to say this is one deal to run and hide from.

About split limbs.. I've had two bows with split limbs and have had no problems with them. Only thing I didn't really care for was the ocassional twig that would get hung up between the limbs while I was trying to sneak through brush. I still prefer solid limbs, but have no real reason to dislike splits.
Old 02-11-2002, 06:12 PM

If you want a good used bow there are deals available. Try www.archery.net classifieds there are many deals available.

Aim Hard!
Old 02-11-2002, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would not even consider that bow. Its been dry fired, so who knows what else is wrong with it. For 200 bucks, you could add another 100 and buy a pretty decent new bow.

As for split limbs, I have a split and a solid limb bow and both shoot fine. The only advantage to split that I am aware of is weight. But the weight difference is really not noticable.
Old 02-12-2002, 05:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

You are going to get a "no" from me as well. Base price for the Backdraft was only $300 to start with.

Not to mention the fact that Browning had a problem with the limb pockets on the Backdraft during the first two years of production.