Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 New to this would like advice.(pics of start) >

New to this would like advice.(pics of start)

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

New to this would like advice.(pics of start)

Old 05-22-2006, 10:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default New to this would like advice.(pics of start)

I started a plot last year and had a few questions on how to proceed.

First-- Is there something that will eat all those stumps? For the immediate future I bought a tiller and plan to go around them but long term would like them gone.

Second-- Is there a how to website some where so I can read up on the subject and not be to much of a pest. I live in central NY if that helps any.

Thank you for any help.

Here are some pics of what i have done so far. All logs and sticks have been removed. I started tilling with a mantisand that did not work so well. It was getting late in the year so I quit for a while. Have to say the deer loved what i did though they would use the heck out of it eating all the regrowth. so if I get something they like growing I could do great things for me.

Old 05-22-2006, 10:39 AM

Default RE: New to this would like advice.(pics of start)

Welcome to the forum. Looks like you put in some hard work. The only ways I know of to remove those stumps are: bulldozer, excavator, or burning them. Looks like you may want to try to burn them on such a small piece of ground.
Try going to the QDMA forums, but they have been down for about a week now due to someone hacking into the database. Also, try North Country Whitetails. www.qdma.com www.northcountrywhitetails.com

If you really want to get first hand knowledge try visiting the North Country Whitetails facility there in NY. Good Luck!

Old 05-22-2006, 01:29 PM

untill you can do better, get some of the noplow plot mix and put it in. then as the stumps rot , go from there.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:18 PM

One of the best places to go is the QDMA forums like Criggster stated but it is currently down. You can still check out their articles. I also like Whitetail Stewards for information. It's not updated too often but has some good info in there on different plant species.
http://www.qdma.com/
http://www.whitetailstewards.com/homepage/homepage.htm

As for the stumps you can do as Climber stated or try to find someone with a stump grinder. They had some ways to get rid of stumps on the QDMA forums but of course they are down right now.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hi Medic - Nice to see you back.

Great pictures. - I like the ferns.

You've got a good start. Keep working the plot - and the stumps will be GONE in a couple years. Don't let them re-sprout - that will be the beginning of the end for the clearing.Roundup and a handsprayer.

Also - I'd work it all up again in Mid August - and plant Cereal Grain Rye. for the fall. - Its tough to go wrong with rye - and it will help build the soil - and resist sapling seedlings from getting a good start next spring. Not to mention its a great fall plot!

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss specifics.

Takecare

FH

Old 05-22-2006, 08:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Excavator is the best option. Some of those stumps may be around a long time before they completely rot unless you dig them up. At least with them being cut for a year or so will make them easier to get out of the ground with an excavator.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:56 AM

If you had a trailer hitch on your ATV you could rent a Stump grinder from your local equipment company like ASCO or Stewart & Stephenson, BeeHive rentals etc...

I have had to do that myself. Take a chainsaw and cut them as close to the ground as possible and then use the grinder to go several inches below surface. If you were not going to plant I would suggest a dose of diesle fuel on the exposed surface to garuntee no regrowth...but simply grinding the stump down below ground level will sufice for your needs. Besides the chippings from the grinder will make good mulching.

BTW welcome aboard.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:44 PM

I agree with levelgrape, cut those stumps down as low as possible. I first tried a mantis too, they suck for breaking new ground! They are nice though if you already have an established garden or for weeding. Hang in there do a little at a time, you can't go wrong. I personally got involved with a couple of forums and constantly went to search engines and typed in HOW TO GROW FOOD PLOTS on yahoo and google and any other I could find. I learden alot and yo can too. Don't give up, it's sooooooo worth it!
Old 05-29-2006, 07:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

The other issue is the ferns, your going to have a hard time keep them out of your plot. As you can see, they grow everywhere and with their root system, they will overrun your plot.

How did you clear the area you have cleared? Again, did you totally clear the ferns root system from there. If not, they will be back.