Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
I am going to start to bow hunt Need Advice >

I am going to start to bow hunt Need Advice

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I am going to start to bow hunt Need Advice

Old 11-06-2002, 01:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default I am going to start to bow hunt Need Advice

Hey everyone, usually I hang out in Deerhunting message board but I wanted to get some advice about purchasing an iexpensive reliable bow. What is a good brand that will not cost me an arm and a leg? What other advice do you have for arrows, poundage of the bow ect...? I will be purchasing one soon, but I know nothing about them and want to do my homework. Thanks,

Starrman

Ron Starr
Old 11-06-2002, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I am going to start to bow hunt Need Advice

WELL WHATS YOUR PRICE RANGE? THIS WOULD INCLUDE BOW, REST, RELEASE, ARROWS, SITES, QUIVER, BROADHEADS, PEEP SITE, STRING SILENCERS?
Old 11-06-2002, 02:15 PM
Fork Horn

I dont have to buy it all at one time. I am not going to start bow hunting until next year. I still need a lot of practice shooting the bow I get ect off season and so forth... Some of my buddies only bow hunt but I wanted to get some advice from others. I am sure I will have at least a few hundred into all of it. $300 to $500? Not sure but I will be purchasing everything I need through a couple of months or so.

Ron Starr
Old 11-06-2002, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ANY OF THE MAJOR BOW COMPANIES MAKE INEXPENSIVE BOWS, WHICH MODELS THEY ARE I REALLY DONT KNOW, I LIKE MATHEWS (expensive) AND BEEN HEARING GREAT THINGS ABOUT BOWTECH, AS FAR AS POUNDAGE, THATS UP TO YOU AND WHAT YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH, I MYSELF DRAW BACK 70lbs. FOR SITES YOU NEED TO LOOK INTO THEM TO SEE WHICH ONE YOU LIKE, THERE ARE SO MANY. ARROWS AGAIN YOU NEED TO GOTO YOUR PRO SHOP GET SIZED UP, HAVE THEM MATCH YOUR POUNDAGE, USE ALUMINUM SINCE YOUR NEW OVER THE MORE EXPENSIVE CARBONS, ALSO I LIKE VANES OVER FEATHERS MY CHOICE. BROADHEADS THIS AGAIN YOU NEED TO CHOOSE THE BRAND, I LIKE MUZZY 3 BLADE 100grs. BUT THIS UP TO YOU, AND WHAT ARROW/POUNDAGE PULL YOUR BOW HAS. QUIVER I LIKE THE KWIKE QUIVER. SILENCERS, STABERLIZER, AND RELEASE AID, AGAIN TOO MANY TO CHOOSE FROM. YOU REALLY NEED TO VISIT YOUR PRO SHOP, PLEASE DO YOURSELF A FAVOR STAY AWAY FROM STORES LIKE SPORTS AUTHORITY, OR ANY TYPE GUN/HUNTING STORE THAT DOESNT SPECIALIZE IN ARCHERY, ASK YOUR FRIENDS IN YOUR AREA WHO KNOW OF A GOOD ARCHERY PRO SHOP.

GOOD LUCK

BOW HUNTING IS A MUCH MORE PERSONNEL TOUCH THEN GUN HUNTING
Old 11-06-2002, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Bowhuntercop. I appreciate it!

Starrman

Ron Starr
Old 11-06-2002, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Look at a PSE Nova "kit"....comes with all the accessories for around $200 - $250. It is a very nice setup for the $. I would definitely go to a reputable pro-shop and have them set you up.

Old 11-06-2002, 03:10 PM

There is a DVD out - dont remember the exact title, but it is something like "So you want to be a Bowhunter" by Bowhunter University (Phi Beta Dropum)

It has some pretty decent information and is well presented.

"Vegetarian" - also translated as "Bad Hunter"!!
Old 11-06-2002, 03:19 PM

I know Hoyt has the Magnatec for under 500, and they shoot really nice. PSE also has some quality bows along with Reflex( cheaper version of the Hoyts.) Just go to your local pro shop at shoot some bows in your price range. Try to get a bow with a higher brace heigh as it will be more forgiving to shoot. The brace height is measured from the throat of the grip to the string. As for arrows, it is mainly personal preference, aluminums are cheaper than carbon and are straigter but they bend. As for broadheads, I know alot of people on here like Muzzys, I haven't used them, but I like NAP Thunderheads. If you can't get the accuracy you want, shoot Rocket Steelheads. I shoot a draw weight of 60, and I am only 15, so just shoot a weight you are comfortable with. Draw the bow back and hold it for 1 minute, and then crank each limb 1/4 turn. Keep doing this until you cano longer hold back steady for a minute, then back off a 1/4 turn. Get a QuikTune arrow rest, any quality fiber optic sight, and a good release, and you will do just fine. Good luck.

Shots that are True....Pass right Through!!!
Old 11-06-2002, 06:09 PM
Fork Horn

Check out the buckmaster G2. Its short,quiet and very inexpensive compared to Hoyt or Matthews. I just started bowhunting this year and really like it. A friend of mine who is very experienced shot a moose and P&Y buck with his already this year.
For a good review go here:

www.archeryworld.com/bows/testtune/g2.nmpl

Hope this helps
Old 11-06-2002, 08:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would go with one of the package deals that many manufacturers have out now. For three or four hundred you can get everything you need to get started. Take a look at PSE, Browning, and a serious look at the Parker hunter mag package. You will definetly want to get it from a pro shop. It may cost a little bit more than Cabelas or a sporting goods store but they will set it up and tune it and give you shooting instruction. Most will also give you lifetime tuning if you buy it from them. I made the mistake of getting my first one at a sporting goods store and had to learn the hard way to shoot and tune a bow or pay a pro shop to do it for me, and trust me it's very frustrating. You also might want to ask if they can set you up with a package deal of their own.
As for poundage you should be able to sit flat on the floor and pull the string straight back with no strain or lifting of the bow. Don't get hung up on speed either just make sure that you can shoot it accurately. Personally I like carbon arrows. When you start shooting good groups (touching arrows) they don't get damaged near as easily as alluminum arrows do.
Save your money and get it all at one time. That way you will get it set up right the first time and won't have to constantly add something and then have to retune it. And nothing is more frustrating than having a brand new bow sitting in your house and not being able to shoot it cause you don't have a couple of things, release, sight, arrows, rest, target.

Quick Reply: I am going to start to bow hunt Need Advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.