Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 How does hunting affect our environment? >

How does hunting affect our environment?

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

How does hunting affect our environment?

Old 04-07-2006, 03:08 PM
Typical Buck

Default How does hunting affect our environment?

Hey guys i was looking for some help. I have to do a research project and thought i would do it on hunting. Thequestion i came up with is how does hunting affect our environment? I was just wondering how do you guys think that hunting helps the environment. All help is really appreciated. Thank you.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:41 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How does hunting affect our environment?

Well managed hunting of preditors and prey can only help the environment in all regards.

The current high deer populations are decimating native plant species, reducing bio-diversity. Species unpalatable to deer are taking over landscapes such as boxelder, basswood, and non-native buckthorn.

Aldo Leopold saw the reduction of fragile and rare plant species caused by deer browsing back in the 40's. HIs warnings of damage caused by increasing deer populations back then made him unpopular, but he was 100% correct.

So along with removing non-native plants from the landscape, and replanting a variety of native plants .... managed hunting is the best weapon to save the environment and biodiversity of habitats.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

The sale of state by state hunting licenses supports the fish and wildlife agencies which inturn improve habitat and do studies on wildlife. They also provide information to the public to inform them of of how to improve habitat.

You also have large organizations like, National Wild Turkey Federation, Ducks Unlimited, Trout Unlimited, Izaak Walton League of America, Ruffed Grouse Society, Rocky Mountain Elk Fondation and on and on. These are hunter based organizations that promote habitat improvement. Do a search on these and get some good info on what they do.

You also have local sportsmen's clubs who do their part in habitat restoration.Some plant trees and cover and improve streams and waterways.

When it all adds up, no one pays more or gives more for they benefit of wildlife, than a hunter, nobody.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hi NEWB

Whenever you do a paper -or study, be prepared for the opposite of what you expect. It doesn't always happen this way off course, but its better to be prepared in case it does.

I sense that you think that "hunting" helps the environment, and that you expect to be able to back up your assumption with some hard data - maybe even case studies. A freindly forum isn't always your best recourse in these matters.

One could make a pretty good case that hunting does NOT help, but maybe hurts the "environment". First - you need to define your interpretation of "The Environment". After that, you would be well advised to make a top 10 list of how our hunting seasons HURT the environment first - then work to dispute the findings on the list AND then, finally offer another list of how hunting seasons contribute to the overall state of "the environment".

Some hurdles you will need to overcome:

1. Hunting seasons target one age class, or sex of animal (deer epecially) - and contribute to an out of balanceherd structure.

2. Unlimited or Liberal hunting of certain species - brands these species as "unimportant" in the scheme of wildlife managemnent (red squirrel, woodchuck, coyote, are a couple examples. True enviromentalists will argue "who's to say which species is irrelavent" in the scheme of wildlife management.

3. The "management" of non-native species is counterproductive to the natural biodiversity of the local fauna. Forexample - RingneckPheasant are a non native species of fowl in North America - that is propagated, controlled, and regulated at the expense of the native avian populations.

4. Modern state (and personal)management of timber - tends to encoucarge the harvest of trees prior to "old growth" status. Sure - old growth woods maybe support less deer, foxes, pheasant and other "game" animals than a managed woodlot - BUTold growth woodlands is far more diverse, and natural. Woodland "management" might help the hunting populations - but not encourage the biodiversity that otherwise could be obtained through old growth management.

5. Managment of a species to maximize hunting success ( deer in NY for example) - may not always be the best course of action fot he flora in which they inhabit.

There is 5 anyway.

I just say - don't EVER write a paper without facing the opposition head on. Sometimes they DO HAVE good points, that you will need to address.
If you've ever visited an old growth forest (I mean like 200-400 year old trees in the northeast) -then you will understand that even if "huntable"populations of certain "game" are low - the overall biodiversity of the woods is incredible.

Before you even list ONE good aspect of hunting as it relates to the "environment" you need to define your definition of "the environment" and address the negative aspects of how hunting relates to it - THEN - you can finally point to thePROS - hunting and how it relates to the environment.

Just my late night ramblings on the topic.

FH

Old 04-12-2006, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very good points Farmhunter. I was thinking as the negatives:

- opposite to natural selection which favours the most capable to pass on genetic material. Either the game animals will get craftier or the genetic pool will become pretty weak.

- contamination of environment with lead. It takes unbelievably small amounts to contaminate large areas of water.

- spreading of disease through concentration of animals through feeders.

- loss of natural predators (wolves)

positives:

- hunting organizations do more for improvement of the environment than most other groups

- population control ofgame species that are over populated due to agriculture and loss of predators

- except for lead huntinghas minimal negative effects on the environment commpared to mosthuman activities (agriculture, industry)\

- the linking of humans to the natural environment through hunting creates a strong voice to lobby government to preserve natural areas.

- $$$$$ hunters spend money which allows farmers to keep their bush as bush and to keep tourist/camp operators in business. It also funds government environmental programs that environmentalists don't.

Dan O.