Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How does hunting affect our environment? >

How does hunting affect our environment?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How does hunting affect our environment?

Old 04-07-2006, 03:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default How does hunting affect our environment?

Hey guys i was looking for some help. I have to do a research project and thought i would do it on hunting. Thequestion i came up with is how does hunting affect our environment? I was just wondering how do you guys think that hunting helps the environment. All help is really appreciated. Thank you.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How does hunting affect our environment?

kEEPS GODS BALANCE BETWEEN THE ANIMAL AND HABITATE. IF THE STATE GAME COMMISSION HAS ANY BRAINS AND NOT PAID OFF BY SPECIAL INTEREST GROUPS
Old 04-07-2006, 06:31 PM

Eco-management through the process of selective harvest to provide healthy populations of animal including and not limiting to fish, small and large herbivore, and small and large carnivores. This selective harvesting of animals creates a inner-stability within the enirvoments and populations of the animal kingdom, and creates a system where enviroments can be regulated and not to become extinct or depleted. In my mind, what I am saying is responsible hunting, provided with land and eco-management, can stimulate natural growth within the animal kingdom.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lots of money for the state funded eco projects comes out of hunters pockets, tax on licenses and such. Clubs like ducks unlimited help, regulated hunting has never hurt the environment, that’s why we pay the DNR and scientists to play with the numbers.
Old 04-08-2006, 05:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Not nearly enough in a lot of areas.
Old 04-08-2006, 05:39 PM

How in depth do you want to go??? I've got somewhere around 30-40 scientific articles and the effect of hunting on wild populations. Got some on Florida deer, and the problems caused by deer herbivory and the consiqunces of overpopulations etc. Is this High school? or University. I can forward you some links depending on what your looking for.

Kirby
Old 04-08-2006, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check on the Robertson-Pittman act. Basically sportsmen pay an exice tax, an extra tax on all sporting goods. That money goes to funding wildlife restoration project, funding both federal and state wildlife programs, and various other programs, including wetlands, state forests, national forests, etc.. Last time I checked the figures were in the hundreds of millions. Also check into the yearly revenues that hunters spend on hunting related activities, including but not limited to gas, breakfast, hotels and such. Another thing is land leases, hunters paying thousands to landowners that would otherwise sell pieces of property.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

You could say that hunting also protects the enviroment by controlling animal overpopulation especially in the whitetail woods. If left uncontrolled deer can and while breed themselves into over browsing of the ecosystem which rodents, small mammals and songbird rely on for every day living.

Overpopulation of whitetails can cause elimination of plant species in a given area if left to overbrowse.

In migratory birds, overpopulation of snow geese led to distruction of their nesting grounds which inturn effected errosion and destruction of the plant life which effected other animals and birds that relied on the same grounds for nesting or living.

Another site you should check out is www.nssf.com .
Old 04-09-2006, 07:15 AM

Another thing is that if the population of deer is not held in check.You get lots more car and deer accidents. So you can kill them with your cars or you can hunt them.Deer do cause lots of auto wrecks every year. Deer also do alot of damage to yards,crops and shrubs,trees. Deer do need to be harvested. Also look at the state gets alot of money for tags, liscense, hunting supplies and gear its a big industry. Also if the deerpopulations in the northren states, is really large. And we get a hard winter with lots of deep snow. They would starve,death bystarvation isnt very humane.If that hard winter was the case, you would see the states begging people to harvest deer. I know Montana had to do that years ago.Yes deer herds do need to be controlled and hunting is the best way.Especially by bow haha
Old 04-18-2006, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, PM me too if you want a deep college level paper. I did my senior thesis on that very subject for my BS in Biology. I've got lots of refrences. Of course that would be a little dated now since I graduated in '90. But there's a lot of studies on that, from population levels, plant impact (over browsing), even deer psychology (over crowding is stressful on deer on lots of levels) Lots of studies show that prey species are dependant on predators for a healthy herd and since we've eliminated most predators (except coyotes and wild dogs) in most areas a lot of prey species have been negatively impacted.

Contact your local game biologist, and organizations like this: http://unendangeredspecies.com/

Quick Reply: How does hunting affect our environment?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.