Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Roundup delay before planting

Old 05-22-2005, 07:18 PM

Default Roundup delay before planting

Not that we'll be seeing any rain this summer but just in case, I sprayed roundup here last Monday. How long do I have to wait till I plant? Just in case it wants to rain for Memorial day. Its been such crazy weather here..... I'd like to finally get summer stuff in the ground for the deer if I could. I won't be planting until rain is forecast but just in case they say its coming in a few days is 7 days safe enough? I'm trying to kill Coastal Bermuda(dang stuff won't grow that well in our pastures but where I want to plant for deer is another story--might be a good clue that discing helps coastal a lot)

Thanks, Jeff
Old 05-22-2005, 08:22 PM

Default RE: Roundup delay before planting

Okay now I just went to look again, weeds look damaged, coastal looks like it was fertilized!! I used appx 2.5/3%

Any help?

Jeff
Old 05-23-2005, 06:07 AM

We use 10 days as a rule of thumb but I think you would probably be safe with 7...I don't know much about Bermuda grass but would think round-up would have taken care of it... Good Luck
Old 05-23-2005, 04:38 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: alwyshntn

We use 10 days as a rule of thumb but I think you would probably be safe with 7...I don't know much about Bermuda grass but would think round-up would have taken care of it... Good Luck
Are you saying you wait ten days to plant after spraying Round-Up? Why?

You could spray the field and turn around and plant immediatley if you wanted to
(as long as the Round Up dryed on the weeds).
Old 05-24-2005, 07:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

When I am overseeding a lawn I wait at least 15 minutes after applying roundup before I start seeding....
Old 05-26-2005, 08:19 PM

I didn't mean to suggest it wasn't safe to plant immediately after spraying. We wait 10 days to plant because this allows the root system to somewhat let go of the soil and for everything to die out making it easier for us to work the soil down. I don't know if this is a necessary procedure but it's just something we do.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:33 PM

We'll see. I got in a bind. Asked the local feed store and they said 2% wasn't strong enough. So I went back and doubled it to about 4.5 % and sprayed it before the rain. Turned around and hooked up the disc and put the seed out and the grass was dry so I disced it under.

Time will tell.

I can add this-- talked to folks that have sprayed coastal with it every few months along a drive etc... and it always comes back. But where I want it to grow in the pasture for the cows it doesn't appear that strong.....

Thanks to all.

Jeff
Old 06-01-2005, 06:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Het rost 495, that was not the question you asked, you said how long before seeding, not how long before discing. If I was going to disc after roundup I would wait a couple weeks until everything died. I will go in immediately and overseed a lawn, while the old stuff is dieing the new stuff is coming, a little different.........
Old 06-01-2005, 06:56 PM

Ron

Thanks for the input. As ya know plans can change in a matter of minutes and thats what sorta happened to me. I saw rain coming and so did what I could do. Take what I can get at this time of the year. Earlier it was too wet to do anything and then I had medical family issues.

As it is now it looks like I got a good burn on the grass. I only planted half the land and let the others continue to lay out and die.

So far so good.

Thanks again, Jeff