Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rattling?

Old 09-11-2002, 09:24 PM

Default Rattling?

I'm fairly new to deer hunting and I would like to try rattling this year. I have a small set of antlers from a buck last year and I also have a grunt tube. I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on sequence and technique. I know rattling doesn't work all the time but it's just something I would like to try this year but I just don't know how to go about doing it. Any help would be appreciated, thanks
Old 09-11-2002, 10:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Rattling?

Shane, your right rattling isn't a sure fire technique, but at times it works great. I use to believe the best time to rattle was pre rut and yes my results of seeing bucks is higher, but not bick bucks. The last few years I have done a lot of rattling in the heat of the rut, while I don't see as many smaller bucks the quality has improved to bigger bucks. I do still rattle in pre-rut though.

As far as sequence, I start of slow and quiet and no more than 30 seconds. (I progress in tone and duration to about a 60/90sec) I throw grunts in prior and following rattling sesions. I always rack saplings and the ground prior/after. I will often rustle the ground when rattling to simulate a struggle. After I unlock the horns, I stomp or pound on the ground to simulate a deer fleeing the scene...then follow up with a toned grunt. My rattling is more grinding and twisting of the horns, rather than banging them together. When I break the session I often twist and pull. Also found small antlers give off less tone, so you may have to start out a little louder...until you get some bigger horns. I have tried many different rattling devices and the best imo is the real thing (newer sheds or taken deer)horns. Make sure to cut off the brow tines, they can bang up the hands pretty bad, also some guys find using 2 rts or lefts easier to handle as well.

About my only other advise is practice and keep trying. the first few years I rattled I had little success, but lately I have refined my tech. and have taken some great deer that have come to see my show!

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!

Old 09-12-2002, 08:52 AM
Spike

Default RE: Rattling?

Skeeter ,I couldnt have put it any better.Thats exactly the way I've been rattling for the past few years and I definatly see bigger bucks during the heat of the rut.One thing I would add though is,I like to rattle just after sun rise(not before)because I can see much better then.Everything else I do the same way.This season I'm taking a friend out opening day to rattle in his area,trying to get the buck hes seen for the last 3 years and all summer long,with 2 people,we should be able to cover twice the area with half of the movement.