Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Feeder Question

Old 09-09-2002, 01:28 PM

Default Feeder Question

We put out a feeder last weekend, this is the first year that I have put out a feeder personaly, we filled it up with 50 pounds of corn. We went back this weekend and it is bone-dry. The is one of those feeders where if they nudge the little ball with their nose it will release corn. Should 50 pounds last longer than that or is it the norm to go through so much so quick.

Old 09-09-2002, 02:14 PM

Default RE: Feeder Question

GTB, I have a free choice feeder that has a square tube coming from the bottom of a 60 gallon drum and opens into four seperate smaller openings. We feed a 50/50 mix of protein and corn. The drum holds 6 bags (300#) and we have to fill it up every two weeks. Keep in mind that not only deer eat corn. Birds of all types, raccoons, mice, turkeys, squirrels, hogs, etc... I even had a coyote that came into my feeder almost every afternoon last year and ate the protein. 50# in a week is a good sign but I am not surprised it did not last longer. Just my opinion. Allen
Old 09-09-2002, 04:12 PM

if it is low enough that a coon can reach it they will empty it in two or three days.a hog will stand there till he is full and then lay down under it till he wants more. coons and hogs will eat a lot in a couple days.
I would say get you a game cam and see what is happening.

I would also get an automatic feeder such as a moultrie,or game country,or one of the other good ones,it feeds two times a day ever how much you set it for.they are only from $29.00 up.well woth the $$$$

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 09-09-2002, 05:10 PM

The feeder is about 3 1/2 to 4' off the ground. Of course there was deer tracks and the ground was thrashed. I wish I could afford a tracker, but the guy I hunt with is a loser with no money so I had shell out the bucks for the feeder and all the corn.
Old 09-09-2002, 08:40 PM

GTB, Like Treeclimber said, get an automatic feeder. You can get a 30 gallon barrell for little to nothing and can hang it with chain. If you use a 50 or 55 gallon, bolt legs on it. 10 ft fence pipe sections from Lowe's or Home Depot are around $6 each. All said and done, about $50 for a complete feeder. As for your hunting buddy, if he can't afford to fill a feeder, I would find someone else to hunt with or hunt alone. Just my opinion. Allen
Old 09-09-2002, 10:42 PM

I can build them for $50 bucks but i weld the legs on. i use 1" sq. tubing. i put 200 lbs in a 55 gallon about every two months. and yep turkeys eat more of the corn than deer.

SOUTH ARKANSAS REBEL
Old 09-12-2002, 02:37 PM

If you start using an automatic feeder, how long does it usually take the deer to not be scared of the noise and pattern their feeding habits to the times?
Old 09-12-2002, 03:17 PM

ABOUT 1 DAY

Hurry up and wait.