Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Not for weak stomach!

Old 02-13-2005, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Not for weak stomach!

When did you shoot this deer, and how long did it take to find him ?
Old 02-13-2005, 09:02 AM

I shoot stuff- unless you shoot 50s in competition, I suspect I've fired more rounds out of a 50 than you have and more than most. I'm a competitive shooter and shoot a lot. I've yet to see anything impressive out of a 50. Of course I have not shot any animal at 100 yards or less with one(MV is not impressive and more speed offers more destruction) and have only shot out to just under 2000 yards(hard to find clear/safe ranges past that point) Oh sure you've probably seen that pic on the net of the head shot. Yep you hit the head with a big or high speed slug it'll do things like that with the right projectile. But under normal circumstances this wound is not gonna come from a 50. As a disclaimer I have never shot amax projectiles in the 50. I have shot a ton in the 223 and at mid ranges they expand but are not explosive.

Last thought-- now that we are saying its an entry wound, that seems tough to swallow. Though I shot a buck in the neck with my 300 and 180 partitions. I had a hole about half that size, large enough that the taxidermist could not patch it. That bullet did not even penetrate the spine, though it offset the vertabrae enough to sever the cord, the bullet IE what was left of it was sitting against the bone. I suspect that in my case the hole was not as large upon entry but that all the bones and frags could not go out the back side and therefore they went in, and turned around and came back out. Sorta like and entry and exit combined. Sure had a lot of frag holes in the hide that appeared to come from inside out as the hair was not clipped off like an entry wound where the frags came out. And considering that one should only have one entry wound, and no frags till after penetration was effected.

Hard to believe, yet its very possible. Its one of those things, unless you've hunted long enough and seen enough deer shot, stuff like this seems like BS. My only advantage over others is that I guided on a large ranch for a number of years. I was there all season (3 months) in which time we generally harvested over 300 deer each season. With that experience and being that I normally helped skin and gut some amount of deer each nite, you see a lot.

Want to really call BS? I've bowhunted long enough to have seen an entry and exit wound on the same side of a deer with an arrow. Went in left side, came out left side. How can that happen? Only through deflection upon entry though most will call bs. Doesn't bother me. Or the one my brother in law shot from in a tree stand, behind the front leg(downward angle shot) and the arrow exits the TOP of the neck(severe u-turn also)

For all those that call BS, anything can happen. Just because you haven't seen it don't say its impossible. And while I'm at it, it could easily be a fake, doctored photo also.

Actually it really doesn't matter in the end. Who cares. It was an interesting photo. And as noted if its real, then I'd go back and look at my choice of bullets closer. Much like my 300 experience. It was my chosen Elk load if I ever got lucky. I expected to quarter an elk with no problem. Yet it failed on my deer and on a nilgai the same load did not penetrate impressively from an angle either so I swapped out to Barnes X which will do what it needs to and I'm lucky I never tested the original load on an elk.

Jeff
Old 02-13-2005, 09:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

1) It's not an exit wound
2) That's not duck tape or any tape
3) Shot at over 100 yards
if its the entry wound the closest i've seen to that in person was when i hit a 1.5" sappling, the entry wound was 1/2 to 2/3 the size yours is.

didn't mean to be a smartbutt about the "tape" guess the flash makes it look like duct tape "shiney", btw whats the ty wrap for? how many times do ya'll have to tag an animal?

was this with a bt bullet, i've seen some of them do some crazy stuff.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen exactly the same kind of wounds, also entry woumds, caused by a 6mm. The bullet traveling at such a high rate of speed sometimes seems to explode when it hits the deer. For those of you who don't think it could be a bullet hole, you will learn that if you spend enough time hunting you will see some strage stuff.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:12 AM

i personally have never seen an entry or exit wound that big. i have used both a 25-06 and a 300 wsm calibers both bigger and smaller than the 7mm. the closest i ever came to a whole that big was when i shot a doe in the chest at 3 yards. the entry whole was about 3 inches (she was laying on the ground i had shot her in the chest already but she was still alive, don't believe in letting an animal suffer to death.) i am not saying that that picture is not real. but at 100 yards that is an awful lot of damage!!
Old 02-13-2005, 09:23 AM
Fork Horn

here is a one of the deer I shot last year. hte bullet wound is huge. I could put my whole fist in it with much room to spare. the pic is not to great but youll see what I mean. I shot this deer at about 45yds with a browning bar .308 180 grain... the other deer in the pic were shot at the same time. all at the same yardage give or take 10 yards. boy was I tired of loading deer that day butit was cool to shoot 3 at the same time

Old 02-13-2005, 09:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

jci63,

Where did the bullet exit?

C. Davis
Old 02-13-2005, 09:26 AM
Fork Horn

that was the exit, it came from behind the opposite shoulder.

ORIGINAL: C. Davis

Where did the bullet exit?

C. Davis
Old 02-13-2005, 09:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Drew,
I was asking jci63. I have seen exit wounds like yours before. If the bullet catches a chunk of something hard on the way through, it is not too uncommon to see an exit wound like yours.

jci63, says that his nasty wound is his entrance wound, and I was just curious what the exit wound looked like, and where it exited.

Looks like you shot the whole covey.

C. Davis
Old 02-13-2005, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ths78

I don't believe the deer is standing in the first picture.
really?

Quick Reply: Not for weak stomach!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.