Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is Poaching Okay???

Old 03-08-2005, 06:10 PM

Default RE: Is Poaching Okay???

moosehorn, your half right. no judge is going to WANT to condemn a man for attempting to feed his family. but every judge is going to HAVE to give some kind of punishment unless the law says otherwise. laws aren't going to be bent (usually, there are a few exceptions) no matter how noble the intentions.

this is my last post on this thread

PeAcE!
Old 03-08-2005, 06:25 PM

Yea Live...It's called "continued without a finding" for a month, and then "Dismissed"................
Old 03-09-2005, 09:25 PM

I know a guy who used to do that. He claimed it was so he could feed his family. It is hard to understand. 30hrs.=1deer around here 1deer= 150-200lbs. minnimum wage=6.35 6.35x30=190.50 fines=whole lot more than 190.50.

If you can take the time to go out into the woods and hunt deer than why don't you spend some of your energy looking for work. Even if it is mcdonalds. It pays.

Back years ago it was different there was a whole lot more deer and work was a heck of alot harder to find than it is today.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:24 PM
Typical Buck

ANDY_0
Where do you live???????? I have 8 to 20 deer in my yard every day.From what I have seen the people that kill to eat kill eazy animals. With 30 hours in the feld you sure would think every guy out there would get cought.I shure do know when I lived in KS there was many MOO COWS killed by the poor,which in turn hurts a rancher.
I know in montana there is many people that kill a deer so they have meat to eat with there patatos.I think they kill so it will HELP out with the food bill.Maby just maby there are allready working 60 hours a week but still have a hard time feeding there kids. So they kill a few deer to help feed the kids and wife.I am very very sure if it took 30 hours to find a deer they in no way could do that or would if they could.
I do know there is some people in the world that kill 180 bc deer and say they need the meat. I beleave this is the typ of man you are talking about. How else could he spend 30 hours and not find a deer to shoot. I allso think that the people that kill for horns should get cought and loose all of there items.
I do know that EVERY persion on this sight has broken the law many many times.Where it was tax dodgeing or speeding they have broken somekind of laws.I know ever day I get in my car I drive over the speed.I allso know there is thousands of people that do not turn in every dime they make over the year.The main thing is people pick out what is a better law to them they do not all think all laws are the same.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:26 PM

I live in eastern washington county maine. We have a very low deer population. I say 30hrs if you dont get the rare chance of one crossing the road. People still do it every year. I know one guy who was a logger and always kept a .30-30 in his skidder. He shot every deer he saw. He averaged 5-6 deer a year. He has given up the business now due to the low price the mill is paying for lumber. But this man was in the woods every day almost. His only crew was a few buddies and his sons. I know that he never passed up a shot.

Also we dont have many open areas just really thick woods. They are pretty hard to find. I go to camp one week a year 2 1/2 hours away and you see lots of deer. No trophys mostly does and crocth horns.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

A poacher will not always hunt for meat to feed his family, but will also poach on private land sometimes because the game is far better there and also its the adrelian rush of hunting and being hunted at the same time. I know this for a fact. They don't do it just for food. I been there and done it in my younger days when I grew up with the wrong crowd. I would tresspass on ranchers property down south and slip in with a bow, nice and quiet that way. I never hunted out of season but just tresspassed on private property. I did it for more than 10 yrs and got my share of hogs and deer until the law of average caught up with me and I got caught by a deputy sherriff sticking a s.s. 357 in my face, 5 ft from the fence line. Not too good! He locked my arse up overnight and I was charged with armed tresspassing which is a feloney. I got an attorney and had it reduced down to simple tresspassing and after 3 mos. of probation, my record was cleared totally. Not proud of it but I can't change my past. I don't do it now and don't recommend to others as it can be costly. It was like a thrill or a rush to me playing the cat and mouse game at that time. I guess wisdom does come with age. Bobby
Old 03-12-2005, 09:01 PM

WHY Not sell the 1200.00 Shotgun or the 5000.00 ATV or maybe the snowmobile...
Boat etc..
I used to live on the Border.....
Old 03-13-2005, 01:21 PM

There are considerations to think of about him feeding his family by poaching.............................was the first deer that he seen the one he shot or was he out there poaching for a big rack? When people break the law or do something thats against their morales they try to tell themselves what they have to trying to justify it to themselves.....................bottom line is it's still against the law or morally wrong.

With that being said if I was a Game Warden I would have a tough time writting someone up who was legit on feeding his family & he's actively seeking work or is working. On the other hand the guy out there in his new SUV or brand new F-350 4X4, wearing a rolex & outfitted from Gander Mountain etc...............................I would try to take everything he had including his socks.

You may ask where is the fairness in the above which I have written.................Like my Dad says "Fair is a carnival that comes to town in the fall!"
Old 03-14-2005, 07:55 PM
Typical Buck

I beleave the same way bldhound.
The guys who hunt for horns need to be taken to the cleeners.If you go kill your deer with a weatherby toped with a swarovski scope.Then you are not in truble and could do some thing difrant to live. Most people that shoot for food use a 22 rifle or an old 3030. Feeding your kids it not the same.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:20 PM
Fork Horn

If you have a job and still need to poach game animals to feed your family there is something terribly wrong. And if he doesn't have a job, call him a bum because there are plenty. Or maybe their family needs to eat less. I have the priviledge to eat everything in my house right now but I don't. American's are too fat anyways. The man and his family don't need a 5 course meal every night. My parents get paid good money and I don't even get that. You don't see me out there poaching animals and what-not. I just find it kinda ridiculous no matter his excuse. If he broke the law, excute the punishment for any person breaking that law, maybe it will teach him a lesson and he'll support his family in a law abiding way like the rest of the honest Americans.

Just my 2 cents...

Quick Reply: Is Poaching Okay???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.