Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Gary Alt (PA Hunters)

Old 01-13-2005, 06:02 AM

Default RE: Gary Alt (PA Hunters)

When I first came to GA I believe your tag was for 1 buck and 2 does, now it is for 10 (TEN!!) does and 2 bucks, of the bucks one has to at least have 4 points on a side. If you can't understand that seeing a load of deer doesn't mean you have a good, healthy herd then you really need to thuink about going back to school, or pick up something besides playboy to read. Deer & Deer Hunting is by far one of the most informative mags on the market. The astate can set restrictions and quotas, but the sportsmen have to do the work. If PA has WMAs or something like it you should ask if they need vol. to help plant food plots or just go in and pick up trash or whatever, but don't just sit on the couch or at your computer desk and piss and moan. GA has probably the best oportunity in the south to kill a trophy deer and it isn't because the DNR just stood by and said "We see a lot of deer everywhere!! That must mean we are doing okay, no need to mess with anything, keep killing those 95 lbs. spikes and four points!!"

Ignorance is a very frustrating thing, and I don't suffer fools lightly...
Old 01-13-2005, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

well said BOWFANATIC....

oh, but my opinion doesn't count because I'm from NY

I think I have read enough crying, whining, complaining, as well as, good points and discussion on the subject to be quite the "expert"

and living in NY or other bordering states) and commenting is a touch different than someone from CA commenting, but all comments should be welcomed
Old 01-13-2005, 09:01 AM
Spike

Mr Green one, you sound like a disgruntled private land hunter who didn't get his spike this year. Sorry to hear that. I can assure you that I'm neither a WCO or a timber company employee. Typical responses when someone considers other aspects of wildlife management, other then their own harvest agenda, a bad thing. You do realize that buying a PA hunting license only entitles you the privelege to hunt; not the right to harvest a deer, don't you?
Hunting hasn't been that good around here for over a decade. We've had a smaller herd for years, and guess what, it ain't that bad. You may be more amazed by the fact that we still have deer running around and we even kill some of them. On public land to boot. I didn't get any deer this year, but ya know what? That's happened before and I'm sure it will happen again.
If'n ya'll was so smart, I recken you'd nose that a properly timbered woods wuz better then mature woods when it comes to makin' food. Timbering is healthy for both the forest and wildlife, when done right. Check into it. You'll see, and while your on your learning spree check into antler restrictions in those southern states and you'll see that they are working and hunters like them. With the exception of one unit in the Miss. delta, it's all been positive.
Sounds like your in a bit of denial about how well the program is working and only pay attention to others like yourself. A mind is like a parachute, it only works if it's open!
Old 01-13-2005, 09:55 AM
Spike

Good point again Meat about the timbering. Deer can only eat what is less than 6 feet in height and other than an ag field or food plot clearcut regrowth is the next best thing. I've never seen a deer eating buds or leaves out of an 80 foot oak and acorns, when they produce, only feed then for a couple months. But that regenerating clearcut is there all year round for food and cover, unless you have too many deer and they overbrowse it all. Most hunters don't think that there are enough deer. I bet none of the hunters on hear have ever done a clearcut on their property and put up an exclosure to measure the browse useage by deer, or gone to see a PGC exclosure to see. I understand that public ground gets overhunted, it does everywhere, but if the hunting isn't good on your own property you should call a biologist and have them come out and make you a management plan.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:35 AM

cuernes and bowfanatic,i am not arguing about this anymore. you are both very un-educated about thee deer situation. if u would read my early posts i dont want to kill yearlings. i like th AR's just too many deer are being killed. also, bowfanatic, im not trying to have authority over any1 but how would u like it if i contradicted eveything u say about where u hunt and i've never been within 300 miles of "packer country"
Old 01-13-2005, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Need to clarify a point to all users.

Any one from any state or country anywhere in the world who is a member of this MB may post a reply to any topic as long as its within the Hunting Net MB posting rules. Please don't Tell somebody they can't post a reply.

Lighten Up and lets go hunting
Old 01-13-2005, 10:42 AM

ORIGINAL: AJ52

Any one from any state or country anywhere in the world who is a member of this MB may post a reply to any topic as long as its within the Hunting Net MB posting rules. Please don't Tell somebody they can't post a reply.
Alright smart ass people like you really get me ticked so let me clarify what I meant. I did not say "Hey you are not allowed to post here ever its against the rules"

What I meant by that was if you're not from PA you are not here enough to see what is going so don't bother trying to tell us how to manage our deer. I SAID NOTHING ABOUT IT BEING A RULE.

Guess What - You've Been Banned for 48hrs.