Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 More on Gary Alt >

More on Gary Alt

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

More on Gary Alt

Old 09-09-2003, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default More on Gary Alt

I heard a little rumor about Gary Alt. I' m not saying I believe it, but it is an interesting angle. The rumor is that the ever-increasing doe tags has to do with kick-backs from the auto insurance companies and that might have something to do with Alt almost quitting. It' s probably just a rumor and many people are against change in the hunting rules in PA. Many people are against shooting does and therefore would be anti-Alt. I have to think this is hog wash but you never know. Anyone else heard this rumor?

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 09-09-2003, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: More on Gary Alt

I haven' t heard that rumor...until now! I have heard for years that the insurance companies have been lobbying for higher deer kills....never actually saw factual evidence of such though.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

I don' t put much creedance in that rumor. However, I will say that I believe the state is way too concerned with the money they can make off timber sales on the GSL' s. The GSL' s are bought and paid for exclusively by the hunters by license sales but you can' t so much as put a tree step into a tree or even use a a climbing tree stand that does some rubbing on the bark for God' s sake. Just who paid for those trees anyway and who gets the most consideration? Seems like the state will let us pay to maintain a private timber industry for them.[:' (]
Old 09-09-2003, 07:55 AM

It' s rumor. Been around for years.

Many state employees retired early instead of losing benifits to Rendells budget. Why should Alt be any different?

The timeline was extended for the retirement benefits so Alt is still around for now.

You or I would have done the same thing.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:58 AM

I agree w/ T. That rumor was been circling for some while now. I think it is just that - a rumor.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

It sounded a little far fetched. I didn' t want to spread it further but I did want to see what everyone thought about it.

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 09-09-2003, 09:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Old rumor...for sure...auto insurances don' t care about people hitting deer....they have all the money they need and what happens if you do...they raise your rates and they make more money...

Now, the forestry industry...hmmmm Think about it...the deer are overbrowsing the new tree growth...no trees, not forest industry....now that' s another rumor in the mix but it makes more sense...and more important.

Old 09-09-2003, 09:37 PM
Fork Horn

I personally don' t think that any private timber co. is influencing the deer management in PA. I do think that the almighty dollar is influencing a lot of decisions about how things get done on SGL' s, ie its all about the money that can be made from timber sales instead of pure game management for the hunters that are footing the bill for the SGL' s in the first place. No permanant tree stands, no tree steps, a climbing tree stand may not harm the bark, no trimming of vegatation in any way, shape, or form (to make shooting lanes is illegal). Now I ask you, are the SGL' s being managed for the hunters or for timber sales?
Old 09-10-2003, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

The funny thing is - the areas that need does wiped out the most (special regs areas) are mostly private property. You can sell 10 million doe tags in the counties around the Philly suburbs but nobody is going to be able to use them.

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 09-10-2003, 01:50 PM
Fork Horn

Amen Scott, my sentiments exactly.

Quick Reply: More on Gary Alt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.