Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

muzzleloader question

Old 12-10-2004, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default muzzleloader question

How long can you leave your muzzleloader loaded? Its been loaded for a week now. What could happen if you left it loaded for along time?
Old 12-10-2004, 11:22 AM

Default RE: muzzleloader question

I leave mine in until I take a shot , hopefully before the season is done. If I dont shoot , once the season is over , I'll take the load out. There is a very good Blackpowder forum and there is a thread on this subject. Check it out .....
Old 12-10-2004, 11:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

It depends on the conditions when used and then stored? If dry then it should be perfectly fine to keep it loaded for a period of time, mine was loaded for 2 weeks before firing and it worked fine with no effects (but it was dry and unfired!). If wet weather, high humidy or fired I would either shoot or dump the load clean as usual and then reload before your next use. With BP or subs always better to air on the side of caution!
Old 12-10-2004, 11:37 AM

If wet weather, high humidy or fired I would either shoot or dump the load clean as usual and then reload before your next use. With BP or subs always better to air on the side of caution!
All true , luckily my gun safe is in the garage ( & moisture proof ) , so all my firearms are exposed to the same temps I hunt with them in.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:44 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with slugman... I leave mine loaded all season until I have a chance to shoot--UN-CAPPED when not in the woods hunting, though. I do unload and re-load with fresh powder if it rains. Probably not necessary but its good for my peace of mind.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

here something of the m/ler page

http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.asp?m=817869
Old 12-10-2004, 11:06 PM

Better to be safe than sorry, and not have a miss fire on a good shot, The weather conidations change so much in Canada. I dis-charge and do a total clean up every night. I will waste the powder, before I will waste a clean shot , due to damp weather.
Old 12-11-2004, 03:04 PM
Typical Buck

If you have a traditional gun with a percusion nipple and side lock hammer, when you remove the cap. Take a roud ball or something lead and lay it square in the nipple and drop the hammer on it. It will deform the lead to match the nipple and seal it against moisture infiltration.

It's also a good idea to leave the gun outside in a constant temp. Going in and out warms and cools the gun causing it to suck in air and moisture with it which condences inside the gun.