Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 new muzzleloader question >

new muzzleloader question

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

new muzzleloader question

Old 04-09-2006, 08:43 PM

Default new muzzleloader question

Hey guys I am looking to get a new muzzleloader now the thing is I cannot spend more than $300 at this time maybe in a few years if I really get into this. Now what I want to know is I have read people that don't have anything good to say about CVA but then I can go to other sites and read nothing but good thing about them. So what is the real deal good or bad? I could get a Traditions pursuit LT in my price range good or bad? Anyways I think you guys know what I am asking. I wish I could fock out the cash for a omega or encore but at this time its not in the cards.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:26 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: new muzzleloader question

Well the nature of the beast is we are forced many times to purchase what we can afford. It appears you want a break open design rifle. And you want it in the $300.00 or less price range. While the Pursuit LT and even some CVA's are in that price range, have you considered the NEF Sidekick? They are normally around $160.00 and are break open, also they are a said to be excellent out of the box shooters.

I will say there are many Tradition rifle owners out there that are very happy with their rifles and claim excellent accuracy. If the barrel issues I am sure you have read about do not bother you, then you need to decide for your self whether the Pursuit will fit you current needs...

Good luck with your choice.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Like Cayuqad said the NEF Sidekick is right among the best for the money
also a Z5 Omega is a good buy I got one on sale last Dec. for $160 and have seen them selling for around 289 in this area as a regular retail price.
Lee
Old 04-09-2006, 09:37 PM
Typical Buck

I had a Pursuit LT almost new with a scope and I traded it straight across for an NEF Huntsman used without a scope and am very happy with the trade. I just never was that happy with the Pursuit from the start. Mine had a terrible trigger and the accuracy was fair but not great (to be honest I never spent much time getting the best load for it as I didn't like it after I shot it). The Huntsman is a nice rifle except for the goofy ramrod.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

SaskBushMan

There are really some decent rifles out there for the $300 mark. If you are going to be a heavy user with heaviy charges - then I would say save a little bit more and get into the quality end of the gun brackets. If you are going to use it for hunting and occasional shootings then there are guns for you in your price range.

The CVA Kodiac is and has been used by several peope who really like it. The Spanish barrel thing is not a controversy with me.

http://www.cva.com/products/rifle_kodiak.htm

http://www.cva.com/products/rifle_kodiakpro.htm

The Traditions Pursuit Pro is also a decent gun - not sure I would spend to much time looking at the LT - I have not heard a lot of good things about it.

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/10Browse.asp?Category=Muzzleloaders%3A+Pursuit+Pro +%28In+Lines%29

I have an older CVA Firebolt, which at the time I thought was an excellent gun. But the stock gave me a fits because the forearm was so flexible... After I got that problem fixed it shoots great. Just follow the directions in the manual.

Cayugad's suggestion of NEf's are another good source - I personally just can not buy into the looks of them..

Good luck in your search - hope you get what you need...

Old 04-09-2006, 10:51 PM

I just started researching CVA and I am scared away, they may have fixed any problems but hearing that they may not pressure test properly if at all turns me off. I like the Traditions line and from what I was told the trigger problem is fixed(pursuit models). now is there and benift to a bolt action or is a break open the way to go? I like the pivot block action like the omega has but in my price range the only option is the CVA kodiak and I feel CVA's quality may be questionable. Where are traditions barrels made?
Old 04-10-2006, 12:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

My understand is Traditions & CVA barrels are both manufactured in the same facility in Spain. In regards to the proofing arguement or safety concerns they along with some others werevirtually one and the same, if memory serves me correct.

Check out the NEF Huntsman in the same price range. Or try seeing what the dealers have for 04-05 new models or even used. Could keep an eye on the paper as well. I know of a Gonic 50 cal for sale, SS/Sythetic stock (spare stock) and acessories(bullets, powder, nipple wrench, etc). I believe he said 300.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

My opinon (BIG DEAL) would be to go with Thompson Center and nothing else. Best warrenty in the business and there are many in your price range. I think if you can find a standard Omega with black and blue it will be within your price range. There is a reason so many people in here have them. Its still a while before hunting season I don't know your situation but mabey you could save a little more and get an upgraded Omega. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck eather way Mike
Old 04-10-2006, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thompson Center, Knight, *Austin Halleck& Savage in the $270-$570 price range.
New England Firearms in the sub-$270 price range.

*(Barrel strength tested beyond other Spanish-made barrel companies)
Old 04-10-2006, 09:28 AM
Spike

If you want to spend $300 or less on just a rifle and get a quality gun then try Cabela’s they have a Knight Revolution for $299. I am going on reputation only. The guys on this board can give advice on what to purchase.

Knight Revolution
http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712&rid=&i ndexId=cat20815&navAction=push&navCount=16 &parentType=index&parentId=cat20815&id =0024117

For the same price Bass Pro advertises a TC Omega with a black sock and blue barrel.
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=40475&hvarDept=400&a mp;hvarClassCode=3&hvarSubCode=1&hvarTarge t=browse&cmid=PP_P1_1&cmCat=CROSSSELL

As posted before, NEF seems to be a safe choice. they are inexpensive and would allow you to pruchase a gun and other needed items on the same $300.
http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...amp;id=0027233

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...amp;id=0027231

Just my opinion, purchase the best rifle you can now. Save some money and get all the stuff you need to shoot the gun (cleaning patches, bullets, sabots, etc). Lastly purchase optics for the gun if legal and if desired.

Quick Reply: new muzzleloader question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.