Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Another question on new Muzzleloader >

Another question on new Muzzleloader

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Another question on new Muzzleloader

Old 01-01-2005, 10:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Another question on new Muzzleloader

HEy everyone, I have yet another question about Muzzlloaders, Cabelas has a sale going on right now on the TC Black Diamond XR, you can get just the gun for $180, Gun with scope, for $230, or Gun with scope, and starter kit for $269. Is this a good price for this gun. And how does this gun compare with the Omegas, what are the differences between these guns?And how does the encore compare to these 2 guns? Thanks for any input you can give. I am new to Muzzleloading, and want to get a decent Muzzleloader, but dont want to have to mortgage my house.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Another question on new Muzzleloader

I own a T/C .50 caliber Black Diamond XR rifle. It is a great shooting rifle without a doubt. As good as any of them out there on the muzzleloading market in my opinion.

The rifle is an open breech design. This is something many are trying to avoid because of the fear of hunting in wet weather and fowling out the rifle. Well I have never had a problem in that area.

The main draw backs of the Black Diamond is the fowling. It will fowl a scope unless you take steps to protect the scope. Many other muzzleloaders do the same thing. It is part of the sport as far as I am concerned. Also the rifle is a little more heavy in weight then a lot of the rifles out there. You will appreciate this when shooting the rifle and recoil is an issue. It really is a sweet shooter.

The rifle compared to others on the market is not as easy to clean. You have to pull the striker assembly, remove the breech plug and clean the rifle barrel. I personally do not find this cleaning a big deal. I clean my rifles. If this rifle takes an additional five or ten minutes, so be it...

The 26" barrel and stock is well balanced. The barrel is free floating. It is held in place by two locking lugs. The fiber optic sights are excellent, second to none actually. The trigger is clean, crisp, and very little to no creep.

If cleaning a rifle a little longer after a range session is not a big issue to you. And you want a rifle with the Thompson Center warranty. Also a rifle that is very accurate.... this is a great rifle, and that is a great deal they are having on them.....

This is a 3" X 5" index card I taped to a cardboard box. I drew the X with a black magic marker.... they make a great target.

This is what my Black Diamond is capable of off shooting sticks under hunting conditions shooting a large conical which will take down anything you might ever want to shoot...... This was 100 yards, and I never swabbed. You will note a smaller hole to the far right... that was a sabot that was loaded in the rifle. I decided to switch over to the conicals because of hunting conditions and wanted to test them before heading out...
Old 01-01-2005, 05:29 PM

That's a great deal on that rifle. I just paid $269 for mine locally.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:29 PM

That picture alone sold me on the rifle! then cabela's came out with that big sale and I just had to have one. just dont expect to get the SS w/ camo stock 'cause I called when the mag came in the mail and they were already sold out.