Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Cant believe this location, big bucks >

Cant believe this location, big bucks

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Cant believe this location, big bucks

Old 12-10-2004, 12:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Cant believe this location, big bucks

boy you can tell the season is winding down ,lots of bickering amongst the herd. Learn from your mistakes is what is important.I'm not perfect either.I'm glad you did not shoot at that deer at 40 yards,but happy you realized your abilities.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:15 AM

I see no real difference if you wound one with the rifle or with the bow still a hurtin' critter. Some of it can be blamed on taking a marginal shot but people, chit happens also. You can practice all you want on the bench or at your 3d target but when u get out there the slightest flinch or mistake can cost you. It may have nothing to do with the shot opporunity itself but rather your execution of the skill. Using a bow gives you no excuse to wound an animal, or think any less of a rifle hunter that does so. It can happen to anyone. I have been hunting for about 9 years now, yet to wound one with my sticks but have nicked 2 with my rifle. Do i know my bow better than my rifle? Did i take a bad shot? No and No. When ya hunt for many years, or more true yet hunt many species every year, out there with 6 or 7 tags to fill you are bound to have one get away eventually. Nobody is perfect.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:24 AM

I'm new to the board (very first post) but I am no rookie when it comes to hunting and the ethics involved in taking shots. None of us know the cicumstances involved when he "wounded" the animal. For instance a branch might have effected the bullet's entrance point, the deer might have moved in the last split second, or he might have flinched a little bit when he squeezed the trigger. Give the guy a break.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unfortunately, it is part of the game. Try as we might, things can go wrong with bad result. I got an idea, let's all make it worse and castrate one of our own instead of supporting him and encouraging him to persevere. That sounds like a good plan.

"I know that the guilt you feel is far worse than any punishment you would receive"

Some will try to punish you anyway. Not me. Good luck finding him and I hope you learned from the experience.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep i agree...if a person hunts long enough there's going to be a time and day your not going to make that lethel shot given enough time its bound to happen to us...were human and people do make mistakes!, and most of us learn from them and move on.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:42 AM

Hey muley, their is such a thing as buck fever, everyone gets it and if you dont give up the sport. The slightest shake can throw off a bullet. You big country huntn boys seem so far superior cuz your from Montana. but let me tell you theres no difference. so dont tell me that my season should be over. This buck is fine as a matter of fact hes coming back around last night along with a an 8 an a ten. thanks for you 2 cents LOVE TWONG
Old 12-10-2004, 04:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

i was hammered by all the know it alls who evidently have never wounded a deer with a bow.
, aint it the truth, imo if you put up a good effort to recover a deer and have exhausted you abilitities you have done the best you can, and it does happen to us all sooner or later, in my 25+ years of deer hunting i have only not recovered 3 times (2bow shots and one w buckshot[:'(]), in my opinion i've been lucky, the longest on a recover for me was 11 days, of course the meat was not for human consumption, and it was a 8pt 18" spread 120"+ on a buck that really meant alot to me, thats why i put in the 11 days, long story short, i shot the deer 20 minutes before dark, did not think it was a marginal shot, guessing at what the shot had done i thought liver and clipped a lung, waited till 9p.m. after finding the initial blood, went about 150 yards and jumped him, left for the night not knowing that a rain/snow storm was moving in, well we all know what happens to a bloodtrail in the rain, looked everyday i could, the day i found him my uncle and cousin went with me and we made a zigzag course through the woods, the deer had gone almost a mile, btw i don't like loosing a deer and for sure not a good one. if it were me i would still be after or looking for the 12 pointer myself.

ya'll have a wonderful rest of the season

p.s. i don't miss, not much anyway
Old 12-10-2004, 09:27 PM

Hey muley, their is such a thing as buck fever, everyone gets it and if you dont give up the sport. The slightest shake can throw off a bullet. You big country huntn boys seem so far superior cuz your from Montana. but let me tell you theres no difference. so dont tell me that my season should be over. This buck is fine as a matter of fact hes coming back around last night along with a an 8 an a ten. thanks for you 2 cents LOVE TWONG
If your shaking from buck fever, then you took a marginal shot. You shot when you were not in full control of your weapon. All I'm saying is if you stop and think about why anyone misses a shot with a rifle, its almost always because they shouldn't have shot in the first place. To dark, animal to far away, animal in to much cover, sunlight in the scope, animal running etc. I have no idea what your reference to Montana is supposed to mean, nor did I think that I in anyway said I was "superior". I didn't tell you your season should be over, I told you what I would do out here. Sorry your so offended. Again, it just gets disgusting seeing all the "I wounded one" post. Frankly, this whole secenario has been discussed on several other threads so I won't pursue it here anymore.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:12 PM

ORIGINAL: muley69

If your shaking from buck fever, then you took a marginal shot. You shot when you were not in full control of your weapon. All I'm saying is if you stop and think about why anyone misses a shot with a rifle, its almost always because they shouldn't have shot in the first place. To dark, animal to far away, animal in to much cover, sunlight in the scope, animal running etc. Again, it just gets disgusting seeing all the "I wounded one" post. Frankly, this whole secenario has been discussed on several other threads so I won't pursue it here anymore.
I would tend to guess the aforementioned hunter was actually referring to excitement rather than true 'buck fever'.

Some truth to these comments, but exactly why should bowhunters continue to get a pass on the topic? Because they're bowhunters? Please ([&:]). With the advent of bows spitting out arrows at 340+ fps, incredible let-offs, releases, even more lethal broadheads than ever, the list goes on... Ya' wanna' be a bowhunter? Then be one...stop making excuses (not speaking to anyone specifically). The cold weather isn't an acceptable excuse and neither is the bulky clothing. If you can't handle the conditions or the clothing...don't go.

Truth be told, many bowhunter's 'wounded deer' should not have been shot at in the first place either. Far too often they exceed the limitations of their range, miscalculate yardages, don't adequately trim shooting lanes, place tree stands too high, offer the old 'jumped the string' crap, and remain as guilty as any rifle hunter when it comes to screwing up. But alas, they know their bretheren will quickly forgive...especially with a bit of exagreration or mild embelishment.

Therefore, if one wishes to argue 'misses/wounds', don't limit it to weapon type. One's choice of weapon carries with it the inherent responsibility to be brutally proficient with it.

Also, the fact remains that I've never lost an animal with a rifle...so what. I still wouldn't need anyone's (from this site) blessing nor condemnation to know I felt it a worthy shot opportunity in the event it had happened.

In closing, typically, no one feels worse than the person who missed or wounded an animal that he/she did not recover. Obviously, most made a game-time decision they felt comfortable enough with to take the shot. Let's extend a lil' grace and benefit of the doubt 'eh?

Just my two cents. [:'(]
Old 12-10-2004, 11:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would be a bold faced lair if I said I never missed or nicked an animal during my 20 plus years of hunting but equally in each case of missed opportunity or a lost animal I learned a valuable lesson. It hasn't happened for a number of years so I guess I must have learned something from my previous mistakes. IMO it happens and the difference is correcting vs repeating those mistakes.

Quick Reply: Cant believe this location, big bucks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.