HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Cant believe this location, big bucks
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2004, 10:12 PM
PositiveBo

Default RE: Cant believe this location, big bucks

ORIGINAL: muley69

If your shaking from buck fever, then you took a marginal shot. You shot when you were not in full control of your weapon. All I'm saying is if you stop and think about why anyone misses a shot with a rifle, its almost always because they shouldn't have shot in the first place. To dark, animal to far away, animal in to much cover, sunlight in the scope, animal running etc. Again, it just gets disgusting seeing all the "I wounded one" post. Frankly, this whole secenario has been discussed on several other threads so I won't pursue it here anymore.
I would tend to guess the aforementioned hunter was actually referring to excitement rather than true 'buck fever'.

Some truth to these comments, but exactly why should bowhunters continue to get a pass on the topic? Because they're bowhunters? Please ([&:]). With the advent of bows spitting out arrows at 340+ fps, incredible let-offs, releases, even more lethal broadheads than ever, the list goes on... Ya' wanna' be a bowhunter? Then be one...stop making excuses (not speaking to anyone specifically). The cold weather isn't an acceptable excuse and neither is the bulky clothing. If you can't handle the conditions or the clothing...don't go.

Truth be told, many bowhunter's 'wounded deer' should not have been shot at in the first place either. Far too often they exceed the limitations of their range, miscalculate yardages, don't adequately trim shooting lanes, place tree stands too high, offer the old 'jumped the string' crap, and remain as guilty as any rifle hunter when it comes to screwing up. But alas, they know their bretheren will quickly forgive...especially with a bit of exagreration or mild embelishment.

Therefore, if one wishes to argue 'misses/wounds', don't limit it to weapon type. One's choice of weapon carries with it the inherent responsibility to be brutally proficient with it.

Also, the fact remains that I've never lost an animal with a rifle...so what. I still wouldn't need anyone's (from this site) blessing nor condemnation to know I felt it a worthy shot opportunity in the event it had happened.

In closing, typically, no one feels worse than the person who missed or wounded an animal that he/she did not recover. Obviously, most made a game-time decision they felt comfortable enough with to take the shot. Let's extend a lil' grace and benefit of the doubt 'eh?

Just my two cents. [:'(]