Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Blinds(off the ground)

Old 12-08-2004, 08:15 PM

Default Deer Blinds(off the ground)

My 10 year old daughter wants to go deer huntiing with me next year and for her safety I don't want her to be climbing with a tree stand nor do I want her to be in a ground blind for the same reason. I have 200 acres in North Eastern Alabama and my property is loaded with deer so that's not a problem there. I am new to this site and I have noticed how helpful everyone is. What I am looking for is if anyone has plans or blueprints that they would like to share for a deer blind that would be about 15 feet or so off the ground(floor level). Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Deer Blinds(off the ground)

I have built a few out of 2 and 3" pipe and angle iron. Check out a copy of Texas Trophy Hunters magazine. There are a lot of companies manufacturing stands. Everything from cheap square tube to heavy oilfield pipe for legs. 1/2" rod or angle for cross braces on the legs. All steel siding with foam insulation. One peice steel roofs minimize leaks. Many have tread plate stairs with a grabrail and an extended platform outside the door of the blind. Just look through the ads and you should be able to figure a plan out for a 4x6 that would hunt two with room to spare. Be careful about window selection, make sure you get a good seal and aren't obscuring your vision with too small a window. Sliding, two pane smoke colored plexiglass windows are an option you should consider. By staggering the one you open on left to right ,front to back you can keep deer from seeing you like they can through clear plexiglass windows. I hunt in a tower blind that is about 18 years old. With a little maintanence they can last longer than we will. My little girl is 15 and my little 4x4 tower is getting pretty cramped for the two of us. Sadly it won't be too long and our little girls will be out in the world on their own. Fortunately they will always be our little girls.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:39 PM
Fork Horn

I'm not sure if your interested in this or not,But a few years back I puchased a two person ladder stand.
I skirted it with camo burlap,It's plenty enough room for two adault's to sit in,Yes she would have to wear a saftey harness.
It is only 12 feet off the ground,also easy to get in and out of.
If your thinking more of box type blind,You can build one like woody has said.
hope this helped
Good luck in your quest
Old 12-09-2004, 08:27 AM

If you dont want to build those two person ladder stands are nice. The box type blind thats off the ground will do better in protecting you from the elements , but you can move the ladder stand.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:42 AM
Fork Horn

Don't have plans to send, but if your fairly adept with a hammer, etc, they are easy to design and build. We build ours with a platform at 15', using 2x6 lumber for legs and joists. Use treated lumber if possiible and joist hangers also(rated for treated wood). We have a 5'x5' platform, which makes it comfortable. If your going for a 2 person, then I'd opt for a 4x6 or 4x8 foot platform. Angle legs to give support and use cross struts for stability. We nail 4' long 2x4's on the patform to make the rail,and then wrap it in carpet for covering(a VERY inexpensive way, most carpet places will give you used carpet for frre, it'll last 4-6 years b4 needing replacement). Could go on and on, but just sit down and draw a few designs for options. See if any of your buddys have any you can look at for ideas. Building stands is a great way to spend time with the kids. One tip I have....if possible, buiold a tower stand instead of attaching to a tree. trees tend to sway throughout the year, and things get loose and noisy. Stick to the tower stand. Taz