HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer Blinds(off the ground)
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2004, 09:03 PM
woody7
Fork Horn

Default RE: Deer Blinds(off the ground)

I have built a few out of 2 and 3" pipe and angle iron. Check out a copy of Texas Trophy Hunters magazine. There are a lot of companies manufacturing stands. Everything from cheap square tube to heavy oilfield pipe for legs. 1/2" rod or angle for cross braces on the legs. All steel siding with foam insulation. One peice steel roofs minimize leaks. Many have tread plate stairs with a grabrail and an extended platform outside the door of the blind. Just look through the ads and you should be able to figure a plan out for a 4x6 that would hunt two with room to spare. Be careful about window selection, make sure you get a good seal and aren't obscuring your vision with too small a window. Sliding, two pane smoke colored plexiglass windows are an option you should consider. By staggering the one you open on left to right ,front to back you can keep deer from seeing you like they can through clear plexiglass windows. I hunt in a tower blind that is about 18 years old. With a little maintanence they can last longer than we will. My little girl is 15 and my little 4x4 tower is getting pretty cramped for the two of us. Sadly it won't be too long and our little girls will be out in the world on their own. Fortunately they will always be our little girls.