Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

cookin venison question?

Old 12-04-2004, 02:39 AM
Typical Buck

Default cookin venison question?

Got my first deer and just fot the meat back!
I was wondering what you guys use for marinades for the grill. Im a grill kinda guy. Also how can u tell the venison is done, i heard wild game is best served on the rare side?

Thanks
JIM
Old 12-04-2004, 02:55 AM

Default RE: cookin venison question?

Congratulations on your deer. Yes, don't over-cook your venison. As far as marinades go, I use store brands to suit my taste (southwest or mesquite), others buy those especially made for game, some people I know make there own. Experiment!
Old 12-04-2004, 08:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Never cook till the meat is cooked all the way thru (steaks, chops) and brown like cardboard, or it will taste like cardboard. Like Mike said, storebought stuff is fine I use the McCormick stuff and usually marinate like 12+ hours.

Grillin' it? HOT fire, few minutes each side, turn ONCE and baste a little with sauce (optional).

Better yet, for the first time I'd better come over and show you. Get the backstraps marinating, I'll bring the beer & say the prayer.

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 12-04-2004, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

One simple way to marinade is with Italian dressing. Just throw your steaks in a ziplock bag and pour the italian dressing right on them. Make sure you've got the meat covered in the dressing. Leave it in the fridge overnight. The next day fire up the grill and enjoy. Your right, don't overcook venison, it's best to eat med rare. Don't brown it all the way through, leave the center pink.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:59 PM

we use lowyers seasoning,garlic powder,cavanughs,a little pepper,put into ziplock with a 1/2 cup zesty Italian slad dressing , leave overnight.
heat grill till real;I mean real hot,grill for about 2 to 3 min per side,med. never over cook.
Old 12-04-2004, 06:29 PM

All of the suggestions have been good ones and no, dont overcook it, that is most important, you can use a store bought marinade that you like the taste of or make you own.
I make my own, and just experiment around, but you need some certain ingredients for a practical marinade, you need an oil base, such as vegetable oil,, this keeps the meat moist and dont let it dry out as fast, you also need an acid, such as vinegar or sometimes i use a little orange juice, this starts breaking down the meat, so it is tender, then it is up to you as far as whatever spices you like, I use garlic, lawreys seasoned salt, onion, black pepper, etc. Just try a few things and find one you like.
Old 12-04-2004, 06:39 PM
Typical Buck

McCormicks Montreal steak seasoning and Worcestershire sauce. Tastes awesome! Medium rare! You can't go wrong! Try a lot of different things. It's all personal taste! Congrats on the deer! Oh yeah I use the same combo on my burgers! .... Jim
Old 12-04-2004, 06:51 PM

Try marinating your venision in Italian dressing for a day and then grill it. Tried that once and it was goooooooooood!
Old 12-04-2004, 07:13 PM

Try a venison stew...

Braise the meat with flour/salt/pepper coating then crock pott the meat only in plain water and one finely chopped clove of garlic for 2 1/2 hours. Cut all the vegetables, (potatoes, carrots, turnip) and place them in roasting pan, add salt, pepper and clove of garlic fine chopped. Prepare a broth of bisto with a teaspoon of beef stock bring it to a boil. Add the meat mixture to the vegetables then topp it up with the broth until veggies are covered. Cook at 325 until veggies are cooked (1 hour?) add about a cup of water/starch mixture to thicken a bit and a can of sweet peas. Heat back up and serve. It's important to have turnip. I'm convinced it adds a lot to the flavour of the whole dish. Serve with crusty bread or rolls. gg.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:21 PM

i let it set in milk over night then cook it on a bbq grill out side always make's it better any one of there way's took season it is ok

Quick Reply: cookin venison question?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.