Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 does anyone get burnt out from hunting???? >

does anyone get burnt out from hunting????

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

does anyone get burnt out from hunting????

Old 11-29-2004, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default does anyone get burnt out from hunting????

I am not quite there yet, but it seems to happen every year. I have been hunting since Oct. 15 (bow and have been in the woods for over 24 days and been at hunting camp for another 6). I have been up and back from the Adirondacks (once) and back and forth to my camp many times. Additionally, I have had to leave camp numerous times for football games or hockey games. Its seems to be a constant motion of packing, unpacking, coming, & going. Never seem to get a chance to rest. The weather has been suspect over the past week (rain 3 of last 4 days (2 donwnpours). Seeing deer always seems to help (I have seen a decent amount, but the rain put an end to the sightings). And it's not over yet. Two more trips to camp for reg. season and one final one for muzzleloader. Don't want to sound like a whiner, just wondering if anyone else gets this way.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: does anyone get burnt out from hunting????

Burned out? Yup.... Last season, I was actually on the verge of saying "$*%& IT" [:@][:-][&o][:'(] I got skunked the entire season. Every single hunt. Every species - deer, turkey, ducks, geese, squirrels, you name it....

Actually, I did say "$*%& IT" to waterfowling in general. I hocked all my decoys, shells, camo blind material, layout chair, etc... and gave up. See, it's a bad thing I don't like to talk about much. I had a nice private piece of farmland in northern VA where the "hunter permission" was transferred to me, since the previous guy was moving. It was a big farm field loaded with geese, that's all. Anyway, all I know is that a couple of big money goose hunters stepped in and bought a lease and basically bought it out from under me. The saying is true: Money talks.... [:@][:-] I was so bummed and hurt, I just about gave up. I sold off all my waterfowling gear, and got so pi$$ed, I smashed the wooden, 1/4" plywood, goose silouettes that I made from a template. I had about a dozen handmade silouettes out of plywood, and now they became fireplace kindling, because of my vicious temper. [&:]

So far this season, I have seen deer and took a shot at a big 8 pointer from 20 yards (I MISSED!!!!!), but feel better because at least I am seeing deer. Take a look at my hunting log in my signature, and you'll see how my deer season has been going. You'd get frustrated too....

Butch A.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

yea i get a little burned out for like a few days then i miss it again. I think if you get adequate rest and eat some food, its alot easier on your body. Sometimes i dont eat, and get little sleep and then i am miserable.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

The older I get the more I find myself not enjoying hunting like I use to. Bones hurt, get tired and it seems I can usually kill a deer any day I want to go, which takes something away from it. I find myself being a lot more picky about the deer I will shoot and I have more enjoyment just sitting around talking deer.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:58 AM
Fork Horn

I never get burned out on hunting...I get burned out on camping....especially when we've had as a wet a fall as we've had here. I get SO SICK of having to dry out everything I own...especially having to take down a wet tent and set it up again in my friggin living room to dry it because it wont dry in my garage. My wife LOVES that.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Funny how you should post a question like this, when you seem to be reading my mind. I've been hitting the woods hard this year and need a couple week break to "recharge my batteries". I have a feeling that I'll be ready come late muzzleloader season though.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:57 AM

I'll tell you what, after a day in the feild you usually start to get bagged and then you see a big one shoot it and suddenly regain all your energy. Funny how it works maybe its just me though!
Old 11-29-2004, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am a little burned out right now. I hunted last on Nov21 and probably won't hunt again until Dec 2. Going almost every day since Oct 1 has worn on me a little.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

For those of us who are able to hunt as often as we like, it can be a chore to get out after awhile. Last year I only missed 4 days out of 100 days of season. Did the bow, rifle, muzzle season to get my 5 deer along with helping friends fill their tags. It became a mental game to psych myself up to go out again. This year I chose a different strategy. I chose "not" to hunt the first 2 weeks of bowseason, in an attempt to be fully "with it" when rut came. I found it helped alot to keep me focused. Here we are into late November and I'm still going strong. Yesterday I just finished a 10 day hunting marathon with my cousin on leave from Iraq. Ten days straight of being in the woods by 6:30 am and out at 5:00 pm. It was definately a "mental" game for me. My cuz had no problem due to being out of Iraq. We did manage 4 does and 1 9pt and 1 13 pt, so the effort was worth it. I'll take this week off and hit it again next week.Taz
Old 11-29-2004, 09:11 AM

Oh yeah, I can get burned out!

I'm close now but I keep pushing. I figure it's part of the experience.

I got kicked off my hunting land too. Someone leased it out form under me. So I have had to hunt on State land for the first time. A lot of scouting! I have seen a few bucks and no does, beleive it or not. I didn't have a shot an any of them though. Ther are a lot of days where I don't see anything. Gets hard after a while. But as soon as I take a day or two off I start thinking that that could have been the day!

I been doing it since OCT 1 about 3-5 days a week.

Last year I filled four tags and it was great. This year, I guess I'm paying for my good time! LOL

Quick Reply: does anyone get burnt out from hunting????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.