Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How do you get a walking buck to stop? >

How do you get a walking buck to stop?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How do you get a walking buck to stop?

Old 11-21-2004, 07:43 AM
Spike

Default How do you get a walking buck to stop?

One of my buddies told me that when he was at full draw and trying to get the buck to stop he made a bleet sound and the buck stopped cold in his tracks so he could get a shot. I tried this yesterday and he wasn't stopping for me. Wouldn't this alert the deer anyway? What does everyone else do?
Old 11-21-2004, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How do you get a walking buck to stop?

just give a little whistle or if you cant do that you can kinda of say murp by like try to accent more on the mu part of the word than the rp.

by the way is this for gun hunting cuz u can shoot a deer walking with a shotgun.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:54 AM
Spike

Bowhunting. Yeah, if I had a gun yesterday he would be at the taxidermist. I tried doing the whistle and eerp sound and it didn't work. And the wind was blowing 3mph so that wasn't an issue either.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:55 AM
Spike

bowhunting. It did whistle and made an eerp sound and it didn't phase him.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:56 AM
Spike

sorry for the double reply. user error.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:09 PM

a simple whistle or "heh" sound will almost always stop them, I used this when I was bowhunting this year, I learned the hard way though. Last year I had a buck come out at about 60 yards during gun season, I shot and apparently missed, he went into the woods, then came out about 5 minutes later leisurely trotting across the field behind a doe, he was about 80 yds out and I didn't realize I could whistle at him... afterall, it was only my first year of hunting! This year, I had a doe walking by me at a steady pace with my bow in hand, and drawn back, she wasn't stopping... so I whistled and she stopped perfectly in the only opening I had for a shot. Unfortunately, I never found her after tracking for 2 hours, but I had a decent shot on her and if I had not have whistled, she would not have stopped.

Shane had to do this with his deer this year too, she was moving quickly across the field and he had a pretty hefty pinch of Skoal in his mouth and couldn't get a whistle out until it was almost too late... LOL
Old 11-21-2004, 12:25 PM

I bought a true talker grunt call and called two deer, buck and doe from a hundred yards away.
When the buck got broad side to me walking i just grunted with my voice and he stopped and i got the shot.
Old 11-21-2004, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do it louder. Sometimes it doesn't work if you don't do it loud enough. Do it quiet, if it doesn't work do it louder till the deer stops.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:12 PM
Fork Horn

just give a little whistle.. it works!!! just last saturday.. i had a buck come in 30 yrds.. was turning to start trotting.. i whistle.. stopped dead in its tracks.. gave me perfect shot. down he went. only a 4 point.. but it will work on other bucks