Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 cant stop the buck fever >

cant stop the buck fever

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

cant stop the buck fever

Old 11-10-2004, 01:24 PM

Default cant stop the buck fever

anyone have any hints on over coming buck fever? This weekend i went out and had two bucks come in range the first I was scared to turn towards cause he was looking right at me..the second took forever when i had a shot i was so nervous when i drew back i droped my arrow. he chased does and never gave me anotehr shot, im pretty upset with myself i think im going to quit bow hunting all together. Does anyone else have this problem?
Old 11-10-2004, 01:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: cant stop the buck fever

That is something that comes with bowhunting... Total Rush, loss of concentration, and mistakes... That's what makes this sport so great... Only time onstand, and seeing bucks will fix that... Biggest thing I have found my self doing (course it tooks a few years) was Rushing, and Jerking the shots... Mostly Rushing... Just talk to yourself, and you should be able to keep your cool... But as my brother can attest to this, once you see that Monster Heading your way you never know what your body is going to do... But talking to yourself, focus on making that shot, just like you do at the target...
Old 11-10-2004, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

It will get easier as you go. You will always get excited (hopefully) but learning to manage it is the trick.

I have been bow hunting since I got out of the Navy (1989) and have killed many deer with my bow. Just this year I had a 9-pointer underneath my stand. He didn't provide the best shot, but my anxiety (buck fever that is) definitely played a part in my hurried decision to make the shot I did.

In short, I botched it big time. I completely missed him. I practice that shot and thank God I did not injure him.

But I know if I wasn't out there that would have never happened to me. That is something I would regret for the rest of my life.

Never say die.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:48 PM

My best remedy is to spend 150-200 hours on stand each year for the next 10-12 years with many close encounters with bucks. That would be a start but certainly won't cure you.

Just keep at it and it get's easier with time. If you do loose the rush it's time to give up the sport IMO.

Good luck!
Old 11-10-2004, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

...Hmmm, ah yes, the dreaded "melt down". Been there done that. Of course as has been mentioned that intense moment is one of the big reasons we love this pastime like we do. Exposure to these type of situations is the best medicine but you still have to have a "game plan".

Here is a somewhat brief description of what life and hunting has taught me about our dilemma. One's emotions will not listen to reason! Doesn't matter if it is intense fear or excitement, your emotions if unchecked, will always override good sense. Those same emotions will however respond to action.

Once the decision is made to harvest the animal, have a strategy worked out as to how you will execute each action that needs to be taken to achieve a quick and humane kill. Then follow that "blueprint" step for step until the animal is recovered. Let's say you spot a buck approaching and are confident the route he is taking will bring him easily within range of your stand. In this senario I have known people that have already hit the power switch sending 20,000 volts of raw adrenaline surge through their system and they have no "plan of attack" for pulling the shot off. In doing so they set themselves up for failure. They have no method of how they are going to attain success, just point and shoot.

Plan your work, work your plan

As the animal approaches know when you are going to stand up (if you must) especially if you are caught off guard and surprised. In your mind you could say, when he reaches this obstruction I am going to stand, position myself for the shot, and hook up! (that could be step one, or it could be step one, two and three, it is all in the way you set up your "scheme". Whatever the case, once done, focus your concentration on executing your next step). When his head goes behind this tree, I am going to draw (That accomplished, move to the next hurdle). When the deer reaches this position I will bend at the waist and stop him with a grunt (next step). When the deer stops, I will pick out a hair and drill it! (next) I will follow through on the shot, I will not drop my arm or peek but remain rock solid(once accomplished, move to the next step)....

This system takes some practice but is proven. Again, emotions respond to action not reason. It will not take away buck fever, but it will assist in "managing" one's emotions so you don't suffer total meltdown. Visualize yourself going through these actions step by step (including making the kill) over and over. Focus on how well you can perform each step and not on the deer, and you will go a long way to overcoming the "fever". As the saying goes, "you can't make the butterflys go away, but you can get them to fly in formation."

Everyone's "system" will be a little different, but it is the execution of actions that ultimately spell success.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:30 PM

Wow good post antler eater. First year bow hunting, and when i was 11 got a 9pt with my slug gun. But all i had to do was point, and pull the trigger. First buck shot i took on the tree stand was whole new story. Im gonna take that post with me to the stand Friday.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

First off, Here's what I do.

When I see a shooter buck, I immediately dont look at anything but the kill zone the entire time I decide to take the deer.

When I get drawn back, and the situation allows, I hold the pin on him for 5 seconds before I even begin to pull through the shot.

I use back tension and let the shot be a surprise and concentrate only on the spot I want to hit, and my follow through.

And most importantly, dont think about how great his rack will look, or any other aspect. This will only deter your concentration from the shot. Which if you practice, is one you've made countless times before.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:22 PM
Typical Buck

wheww wally you sound like me when I first started bow hunting. I guess thats why it took me 7yrs to bag my first deer with a bow. You dont wanna sell your stuff and get out of it, you'll regret it! What ya wanna do tho is jump right back in there and do it again. Just try to make it different this time. I dont know how long you been hunting or how many deer youve killed. but to me it seemed like all the big encounters, the close calls, the getting busted, the shots I missed helped control my fever. And once I did kill my first deer I didnt get the fever as bad as when I first started. And boy was it bad, I still get it too but like antler eater was saying you got to plan it out and then execute. I try to control my breathing the most, use cover to draw, and follow threw with the shot just like practice. If you think you have the fever when you see the deer wait till u get the rush after you shoot the deer.... Yeeee Haaaaa. Good luck and have fun with it, dont get DISCOURAGED
Old 11-10-2004, 07:29 PM

Thanks alot guys...ive only taken a button buck with a bow.....but when i see antlers i start to think about screwing up to much....i guess ill get over it with time.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hang in there Wally We have all been there. Thats why we practice so hard?

Quick Reply: cant stop the buck fever

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.