Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 OK... I need some serious advise.... >

OK... I need some serious advise....

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

OK... I need some serious advise....

Old 11-15-2004, 09:35 AM
Typical Buck

Default OK... I need some serious advise....

I know this isn't exactly the forum for this question... but I value the opinions & experience of the members of this board. How do you re-condition the hyde of a Russian Boar? My boss came to me out of the blue & just dropped that on me.... I do NOT want to tell him something & all the hair fall out. I know about mink oil... but the application is sketchy at best. Any reply would be helpful. Thanks guys.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: OK... I need some serious advise....

I strongly suggest that he check with an experienced Taxidermist. Hides for a mount are tanned differently for that purpose than those tanned for clothing or for other purposes, even a rug is handled differently. Mink oil, while a preservative will soften leather and probably cause it to stretch and thus make the mount fit incorrectly. Just what is wrong with it anyway? How long has he had it? What are the humidity conditions in his home? Has it been exposed to any chemicals fumes or other caustic substances? Those are only a few considerations that have to be checked out. The Taxidermist that did the original work might well be the best source of an answer if he is still in the area or contact a Taxidermy supply outfit like McKenzie.