Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Justification for acting like fools on TV >

Justification for acting like fools on TV

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Justification for acting like fools on TV

Old 11-13-2004, 02:23 AM

Default Justification for acting like fools on TV

I've had this problem for some time. I USED to watch the 3 or 4 hunting shows that would come on TNN every Sunday. Actually I would flip back and forth between the hunting shows and football. It wasn't until sometime last year that I felt like I had enough from those phonies. The bottom line is this...

It disgusts me when I watch these TV shows that show these antler crazed men shooting the biggest buck possible to quench their ego. But that's not the kicker; I get pissed when they feel they are doing such a great service to society because they donated the meat to food banks. Granted, it's a nice gesture to give the meat to food banks but what you (the shows) are telling me is you went into the woods and looked for the biggest possible buck to kill just so you can show everyone what kind of gutless person you are - you didn't need the meat but since got the antlers your happy. It's about the principle of the matter. How much donating do these shows give to these food banks besides venison? We all know how bad it would look if word got out that all they did was shoot these deer and take the antlers. I just want people to think about what kind of propaganda these people are trying to force down their viewers throats. It's almost like they need someone to take the venison so it don't look bad on them so they give it to the food banks and make that a big goodwill gesture. But do they give anything else to the food banks? Probably not! They basically use the food banks as a sponge so they can go back into the woods. That's my problem.

BOTTOM LINE: If you go into the woods to take an animal make sure it's for the right reasons. No something PHONY like these ACTORS are portraying!
Old 11-13-2004, 03:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Justification for acting like fools on TV

Its all about money,these shows if I'm not careful diminsh my desire to hunt .I see all them big bucks and start to feel sorry for myself,cause I dont see anything like that anymore. And another thing.All these states they hunt.Some of them are draw states for non-residents.But they always seem to get drawn.
Old 11-13-2004, 06:21 AM

Yep, it's all about the money these days. It's getting rare that you see one of these groups hunting an area that is 100% free rangeing anymore. To me it's not that sporting to shoot an animal that has 300 acres to roam with 12 foot fences around it so the animals can't get away from them. There are some good ones on the tube though that I enjoy. Eastman has a good series that is completely wild. But it isn't going to go away---cause of the bucks it's generating for the product people. With all the new food plot seeds and minerals pretty soon there's going to be generic deer just like eggs.... I still have never seen a generic chicken----wonder where those eggs come from---lol Have a good one and just keep dreaming of that good old barbequed backstrap and a nice cold beer....
Old 11-13-2004, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hate that one show where they have assembled teams, now they are making a game of it like football or something. That blows ! Big time!
Old 11-13-2004, 10:54 AM

I'd have to say that I really enjoy the Gander Mountain's: We Life Outdoors show on OLN. I've only seen a few episodes but it wasn't another antler crazed typical hunting show. They went to a hunting camp in Northern Wisconsin, showing their traditions, emphasizing the importants of getting the youngsters involved. They shot a few does, a couple of nice bucks, but they were more concerned about getting the youngsters shooting. I really enjoy the shows where kids are being introduced to this great sport, their excitement that most seem to lose as they age. I'm not far removed from those great memories, only being 21, actually I harvest my first buck only 3 weeks ago. I think we need more shows like these, showing the real importance of hunting, bringing friends and family together to enjoy the great outdoors and rating success not by how large of an animal we can drop to the ground but by the memories we were able to build that will never be forgotten.
Old 11-13-2004, 12:19 PM

Anyone could kill a monster if you worked for on of these shows. They get to hunt the best ranches and get the best bucks so the ranch gets noticed on tv. They are a rip, and most of the shoot em with rifles from 300 yards with a guid telling them where to sit everyday. I do like the shows but dont let them get you down because you dont see bucks like that. The bucks there are all raised and watched, they are like penned animals/pets. If you had 10,000 to drop on a deer you could get an easy 190-200 class if you contacted a ranch. Just watch for entertainment. These guys also talk about all the sent gear when the deer they shot are so used to people watching them.
Old 11-13-2004, 02:20 PM

It's almost like they need someone to take the venison
Well they probably do. These guys dont hunt like most of ya'll. One week their in Texas, next week their in Montana and if they cant make it then they send somebody who can. Their shooting deer because thats their job, they have no use/need for all that meat and most of the time its turns into a hassle when your moving from place to place. Giving it to the food bank is a win/win situation for everybody. I know most hunting shows that film down here, the hunter normally leaves the deer with the ranch owner/manager/guide who in turns gives it to one of the ranch hands or cowboys. I know that one of the ranches I hunt we have to take out an X number of bucks and does each year, and there is no way we can eat that much venison so we give it away to who ever wants it. When you have a large number of dead deer they can turn into a hassle.
Old 11-13-2004, 10:31 PM

Cardeer is right - it is all about the money. It is disgusting to watch these shows where people pay to sit in a stand on a game ranch. That's not hunting! Get out there and make an effort to find the animals.
What you all need to do is to send letters (or email) to these programs and tell them what you would like to see - and make sure to tell them what you don't want to see. If enough people complain then maybe there might be some changes.
My two cents....
Old 11-14-2004, 02:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Trustee

It disgusts me when I watch these TV shows that show these antler crazed men shooting the biggest buck possible to quench their ego. But that's not the kicker; I get pissed when they feel they are doing such a great service to society because they donated the meat to food banks. Granted, it's a nice gesture to give the meat to food banks but what you (the shows) are telling me is you went into the woods and looked for the biggest possible buck to kill just so you can show everyone what kind of gutless person you are - you didn't need the meat but since got the antlers your happy.
Most trophy hunters are antler crazed, but I have no problem with it. If your going to shoot a buck, why not shoot a big one. I don't have a problem with them donating the meat, either. As long as the animal is utilized, I say no harm, no foul.
Old 11-14-2004, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I particularly agree with zrex. The team dudes making unethical shots just to put points on the board to cash in on $25,000. Watch these idiots closely and listen to what they say. Just what you want young hunters to see and do. My position is not to patronize the sponsors of this program and e-mail their webpage with your comments. I watched a turkey hunt yesterday where a handicapped hunter hunting from a wheelchair harvests a nice turkey. I have no problem with the hunt, but watch what happens after the harvest. One guy is standing right in front of the shotgun that's mounted on the wheelchair. Action is closed and he's smiling and having a good time. It's time we weed out the unethical programs and let them know they do not represent the majority of REAL hunters.
Good Hunting....[>:]

Quick Reply: Justification for acting like fools on TV

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.