Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 looking for advise for a .22 >

looking for advise for a .22

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

looking for advise for a .22

Old 01-29-2006, 05:26 AM

Default looking for advise for a .22

Hello
I want to buya .22 to shoot for fun right now and maybe shoot compition down the road. I am not looking for the top of the line, nor do I want to buy something that will cause me nothing but problems. What is a good middle of the road .22 and what can I expect to pay? I want to buy new. I saw guns anywhere from 130 and up for the rifle and 180 with a scope(diffent guns). Not really interested in a scope right now. I am looking to challenge myself with the iron sights.
Also does the rifle or ammuntion affect accuracy more?
Thanks
Mike
Old 01-29-2006, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: looking for advise for a .22

TheRuger 10-22 seems to be the standard by which .22's are judged. They are accurate right out of the box, reliable, and there are a wide range of after-market parts available,(triggers, barrels, stocks, mag.'s, etc) to make them a nice competion rifle.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:53 AM

thanks for the help wingbone. Willstart looking
Old 01-29-2006, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I were to buy a 10-22 I would get one with a target barrel. I have a standard model along with a couple of my buds and couldnt get anything to shoot with much accuracyout ofthem. I put on an after market barrel(Butler Creek) and it shoots pretty good now.

Thompson Center makes a nice 22 classic which shoots pretty good its an auto if thats what your looking for. For any kind of real accuracy you'll prob be better with a bolt action in a standard taper barrel.

If I were you I would look for a nice used one, there are a ton of used 22's out there so you should be able to find one you really like for not a whole lot of bucks.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:01 AM

ORIGINAL: Wingbone

TheRuger 10-22 seems to be the standard by which .22's are judged. They are accurate right out of the box, reliable, and there are a wide range of after-market parts available,(triggers, barrels, stocks, mag.'s, etc) to make them a nice competion rifle.
we think alike.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:50 AM

I'm not a huge fan of the 10/22, but for what you are looking for I would have no trouble suggesting it. If you want to start out plinking it is a fine gun with mid range prices. If later you want to start target shooting the options for this gun are pretty much limitless. It is hands down the best the platform to modify. Sort of the like the 350 chevy of .22's.

I am actually thinking of getting one pretty soon. I just want a beat up POS with a decent reciever so I can start from scratch and change everything else.

Paul
Old 01-29-2006, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd also reccommend the 10/22. Nearly unlimited upgradeability. You can use it as shipped and upgrade slowly into what you want for a more competition grade gun. They can become very addictive though.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:14 AM
Typical Buck

I would HIGHLY recommend the CZ line... They are not that highly priced... $250 and up and can shoot with the best of them... Matter-of-fact many people tinker very slightly with them and shoot them in competitions with the Anschutz, Coopers, and Kimbers. I am not saying they are at all equal, but for one quarter the price you will see them out there every once in a while... Easily adjustable triggers, hammer forged barrels, and nice stocks... The 10-22 has a good reputation, but for competition I would look at the CZ... Also go to www.rimfireforum.com and see what they have to say.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:54 PM

marlin 39!!!!! A forged steel and walnut stocked.22 lever gun. Is there anything more American?
Old 02-05-2006, 04:06 AM

Everyone thanks for the responce. I have not been able to get out to actually look for any yet. Seems like most of the shops are closed on Sundays in my area, not sure if it falls into one of PA's blue laws. Can't buy a car on Sundays either. MAybe next Saturday I will be able to get out. Thanks again for giving me a starting point.
Mike

Quick Reply: looking for advise for a .22

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.