Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

venison jerky

Old 11-12-2004, 06:41 PM

Default venison jerky

Anyone have any homemade recipes for venison jery? Thanks in advance
Old 11-12-2004, 06:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: venison jerky

My wife likes to grind the deer meat first and then roll it out thin with a rolling pin. She then cuts it into strips and covers it with liquid smoke and curring salt. She puts it in the fridge over night then puts it in the oven or dehydrater until done. The oven rack works good. She sets the oven on 150 and leaves the door open a bit. You can also just slice it thin and do the same thing. The ground stuff comes out more tender.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:29 AM

I grind up the venison then i mix it in with some American Harvest jerkey mix then leave it in the fridge covered in a bowl for 1 night then use a jerkey gun to squirt it out on to the racks of my dehydrator. I ususally leave it on for 8 hours or so switching the racks around about every hour to hour and a half
Old 11-16-2004, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

well if you dont have a grinder llike me this is what i do:
Take a back leg of a deer, let it freeze then thaw out for a day or two, to where the middle is still slightly frozen(it just cuts easier this way). Get you a long sharp knife and cut thin strips not too thick. Take a bowl and marinade them in whatever you like (experiment a little). I use sugar, soy sauce, brown sugar, a-1 all kinds of stuff......just see what you like. AFter about 2-3days of marinading i lay out in a baking wrack,(usaually every wrack i have in the house) I set the oven on just WARM then i let it cook all night till it looks like jerky. Then let them lay out and cool off before you put into baggies
Old 11-16-2004, 09:50 AM

we grind all of ours and then buy some jerky seasoning from walmart. Made my Nesco. Usually, 1 box has enough in it to do 6 lbs if I remember correctly. So far, everyone that has had it loves it. If you want some heat, just add any type of heat you want.