Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 CANNOT find this buck or ANY bucks!! >

CANNOT find this buck or ANY bucks!!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

CANNOT find this buck or ANY bucks!!

Old 11-15-2004, 05:12 PM

Default CANNOT find this buck or ANY bucks!!

i have found good sign(rubs,trails,etc..)but as far as seeing a buck im having trouble.today i actually found a a few scrapes all clumped in in one spot(is this normal)and one of them had a rub right over it,well i hung my climber on a tree about 30-40 yards from the spot and drug a some estrous around the area and hung the scent stone.climbed the tree and saw nothing.should i hunt this spot a few more times before moving elsewhere?oh and by the way my other spot has plenty of rubs but only saw a spike there(will a spike even make rubs?)i saw 9 does at this spot sat. morning but no horns.when the rut really gets goin this may be a good spot to sit all day but im wandering about the other spot with the scrapes clumped up and the rub over the one?
Old 11-15-2004, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: CANNOT find this buck or ANY bucks!!

Well i dont know what part on the country you are hunting. But here in ohio and from my experience which is like 10yrs bowhunting and a totall of 15yrs of deer hunting, big bucks DO NOT have to visit a scrape on a regular basis, he can simply use the wind in his favor and smell if it has been used. If there is sighn there then they are using it at night, or maybe you are hunting there in the wrong wind. spikes will rub but only very small saplings, not like a big cedar tree like the bucks i have here in ohio. Hope this helps.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

i actually found a a few scrapes all clumped in in one spot(is this normal)and one of them had a rub right over it,
He might be comeing in at night.

But that is my faveroite kind of rub scrape.

Just go there every day for a week he will come to it one of thoses days.

Put some doe estres in it .

He will come.

Good Luck
Old 11-15-2004, 07:06 PM

so turkey fan are you saying ignore the scrapes and just set up somewhere and pray and hope for luck?
Old 11-15-2004, 09:02 PM
Fork Horn

I agree, I would rather hunt a scrape than nothing at all. This year I have seen 4 different bucks come down a scrape line. I shot a 8 point and 3 of the 6 scrapes are still being hit. There were rups also next to 2 scrapes. These scrapes were being hit every night, sooner or later he will show up while you are there. A very hot spot to hunt!
Old 11-16-2004, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

so turkey fan are you saying ignore the scrapes and just set up somewhere and pray and hope for luck?
NOt necessarily, you should never ignore any deer sighn. The sighn of deer is a tale sighn saying i have been here. I would only hunt that spot with a certain wind which ever that may be for you to where the deer cant smell ya. If its a nocturnal buck that is only visiting it at night, try to get in there extra early and set up quietly and wait for him to come through he might bed down within sight of your stand and you could have a shot at him

Here is a pic where i hunt. This place i have to get set up very early so i can beat the nocturnal bucks coming through so i dont spook them to the next county. CAN U SEE WHERE THE BUCK IS BEDDED DOWN??

Old 11-16-2004, 09:58 AM

Has anyone had any luck using a scent drip over an active scrape to gat a buck to change his nocturnal habits? Or is there any other things a guy can try? i have rubs and scrapes being visited every few nites but never during the daylight??