Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Saftey Harnesses

Old 11-12-2004, 02:14 PM

Default Saftey Harnesses

Of those of you who hunt from a tree climber/ tree stand, how many of you use the harness that came with your stand? Thinking of getting new one but dont know of any on the market that come highly recommended for all day wear/functionality.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:24 PM

Default RE: Saftey Harnesses

I just used a Summit stand that came with a harness. This harness is easy to figure out and use - and is the type that secures the legs as well as the shoulders/torso. I can't find any fault with it excpet it doesn't have a dragging loop, which some have.

So, if it's a summit stand, my guess is that you'd be happy with the provided harness. The only way to tell is to try it on and see how it works. Pay attention to how "idiot proof" it is- in other words, do you actually have to remember how to put it on or figure it out. IF so, get a different harness.

If I wasn't happy with this harness, I would spend a few bucks and get a vest type and would find one with pockets and a dragging loop.

I purchased a harness off the rack last year for around $15 or $20 and it was/is a piece of crap which we've salvaged for the webbing - but will never use as a harness again. Tough to figure out and I couldn't even remember how to put it on from one year to the next.