Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Saftey Harnesses >

Saftey Harnesses

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Saftey Harnesses

Old 10-14-2008, 05:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Saftey Harnesses

With all the talk about harnesses on here along with accidents, Id like to know why those on here that dont use them, whydont youuse them?

Do you think they are too expensive?
Do you think they are a waste of time?
Do you think youre invincible?
Do you think they are a pain?
Do you think they are uncomfortable?
Do you think, hey It wont happen to me?
Do you think, Im not stupid enough to fall?
Doyou not think at all?

Come on guys and girls, this is a very dangerous way of life. Ive heard it way too many times, hunter falls 15 feet to his death, hunter falls 20 feet breaks back in 3 places, now paralyzed, hunters tree stand breaks in half, hunter died from 20 foot fall......this list goes on and on and adds on every day of the year.
I know some harnesses can be a pain, but isnt the pain of putting on a harnessless than what your family would go through if you were to fall and die?

IF YOU DONT WEAR ONE, START, IF YOU DONT HAVE ONE,GET ONE, IF YOU CANT AFFORD ONE IM SURE THERES SOME PEOPLE ON HERE THAT HAVE ONE OR TWO LAYING AROUND THAT WOULD BE HAPPY TO GIVE YOU AT NO COST. YOU CAN NOT PUT A PRICE ON A LIFE. AND IF YOU DONT WEAR ONE, AND YOU FALL AND GET HURT REAL BAD, WELL, I WILL NOT FEEL SORRY FOR YOU. YOU HAVE NOONE ELSE TO BLAME BUT YOURSELF!
Old 10-14-2008, 06:13 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Saftey Harnesses

I was reluctant to wear one a few years ago, just because I felt like it was costing me to much time before daylight to climb the tree, possibly spooking a deer that may be within hearing distance of me. My brother's father-n-law fell out of his stand while in his back yard. Did some major damage to his legs and hip, was out of work for at least a half year, but he is able to walk and work again now, just not as well as before. It really made me think about my choices while in the stand. I've been wearing one since. It is just to easy to fall when all that adrenaline is going, plus the stand is man-made, anything can happen.
Chris
Old 10-14-2008, 07:48 AM
Typical Buck

wis_bow_huntr: Thanks for bringing this up again!! I only started wearing a safety harness religiously last year. But at least now I can say that I wear one every time I climb a tree. For those of us who do wear a harness, there are probably a gazillion reasons why we started doing it. For me, it was because I was starting to get my oldest son (17 now) into hunting and I wanted to start him on wearing a safety harness from the first time he climbed into a stand. If hecould onlystart wearing it from the beginning, he really wouldn't know what it was like to not be wearing one in the first place. I care way too much about him to fathom the thought of him falling from a treestand one day because I didn't teach him how to hunt more safely!

I made a post in another thread yesterday where there must have been 20 hunters or so that said they don't wear a harness. I stressed the fact that many members on this site have offered to give an extra one or two away to those who don't have them, so there really wasn't any excuse but pure laziness. Man, we should care as much about putting our harness on as we do about our loved ones!!
Old 10-14-2008, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wear a belt ....tell me why they are bad .....I'm not saying they aren't ...just tell me why they are ...
Old 10-14-2008, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think about living through a fall as a quadrapliegic. How would it feel living the rest of my life having my wife change my diaper and wipe my ass? I'll put up with the minor hassle of wearing the harness.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hate harnesses but I do ALWAYS tie myself in. I use a belt system of days gone by which is not great but tucked up under my arms I feel verycomfortable. Just enough slack to stand up and sit down.

I do own a couple of harnesses. One has never been out of the package and the other is just too noisey.

Nine out of ten bowhunters fall out of the tree and the tenth one is going too
Old 10-14-2008, 07:57 AM
Fork Horn

I wear a harness and just started about 2 years ago. My uncle owns abow shop and had a guy come in a week before season opened here and wanted some arrows fletched and what not. He said he would be back at the end of the week to pick up for the opener that weekend. He was the type of guy that when he said he would be there to pick it up, he would. Well, that week ended and he never picked up his arrows. My uncle didn't think anything of it, thought maybe he had to work or something. After two weeks, the mans wife comes in to pick up the arrows and he asks where the man was at. His wife said that he was hanging his stands a few days after being in there and fell and now is paralyized from the neck down!!! After that day that I was in there in heard that, I will ALWAYS wear it!!!!!!!
Old 10-14-2008, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

I wear a belt ....tell me why they are bad .....I'm not saying they aren't ...just tell me why they are ...
Tony the belts will kill you. If put on to tight you can not breath after a fall. If to loose they force the air out of your lungs as they slide up your torso. Do not use them.
The only thing I use them for is strap my stands to gather for quite carrying.
Send me an address by pm I will send you a couple to try . Take your pick and donate the others to a kid.[:-]
Old 10-14-2008, 08:08 AM
Fork Horn

I used to not wear one until one day last year I was getting set up in my climber when the platform came loose from the tree and I slid down about 5 feet before it caught again. Somehow (and I still believe it was my guardian angel taking care of me), I remained standing straight up on the platform. It was like God was telling me, "That's your free pass. Wear your harness next time." Now I wear it religiously, no pun intended. I used to not wear it because I thought it would restrict a shot taken to the right or left. Now I just fasten the harness to the tree a little higher up. No problems. It's really not uncomfortable at all. I mean, how comfortable can you really expect to be sitting in a tree stand in 30 degrees?

Wear your harnesses guys. You can slip or trip. I would bet almost every guy on here who has spent a good amount of time in a stand could tell you of at least one time where they had a close call.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:09 AM
Typical Buck

bawanajim: Thanks for your work on this! I'm right there with you. Whatever we can do to try and spread the word on this, the better! Thanks for offering to help others out!

Quick Reply: Saftey Harnesses

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.