Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

You aren't a "hunter"

Old 10-29-2004, 09:03 PM

Default RE: You aren't a "hunter"

Thanks for telling us how to poach deer. Perhaps your next thread can be used to enlighten everyone on the finer points of spotlighting.
Old 10-30-2004, 06:08 PM

WOW.....I just read all 7 pages of this. Now that was some good stuff. You guys can smell a poacher half way across the country....lol. ARanger I got a mission for ya. Come to Eastern Ky and try stalking a deer on the side of one of these mountains with leaves all over the ground and see if you can pull it off. By the way.... You dont have to sneak up a deer with a rifle anyways. Were you expecting us to worship you for your skills and say that we are not worthy of being called hunters. Who the H*LL do you think you are. let me give you a little tip. Training does not make you a better hunter. Can you guess what does? Its simple... It takes SCOUTING>>>TIME IN THE WOODS>>>>EXPERIENCE. And WEATHER does make a difference no matter what you think. DO YOU THINK YOUR SKILLS MAKE IT POSSIBLE FOR YOU TO SNEAK UP TO BOW RANGE ON A BEDDED DEER WITH THE WIND HITTING THE BACK OF YOUR HEAD? Hunting isnt a one day thing. Its a way of life. Reall hunters spend all year fixing stands, practicing shooting, scouting and watching for a distance. Thats what makes a hunter succesful. You think because you know how to sneak up on a deer that your gonna get a trophy deer whenever you go hunting...LMAO. You gotta figure out where that deer is first son. No matter how good of a hunter you are. IF THE TROPHY BUCK AINT THERE YA CANT KILL IT!!!! Keep in mind that the deer you killed was poached and you had no idea it was there. YOUR SO CALLED SKILLS NEVER HELPED YOU DO ANYTHING. I hope that some day you'll experience a real hunt and gain some respect for real hunters. Good luck with those stalking lessons.
Old 10-30-2004, 11:49 PM

About 5 am this morning my efforts finally paid off...the scrawniest doe I've ever seen (she really did look sickly) graced me with her company. She hung around the feeder for about twenty minutes. I swear she knew I was there and just didn't care.

Night hunter also??

I know in arkansas at 5 am it's pretty dark!!!!!!!!!!

I read all of this thread and i figure your posts have been pretty much ripped apart . But i also would like to see a picture of this "monster 10 point" well ...........even if you did show us a picture i wouldnt believe it was yours so don't bother!

I would welcome you to civilian life but for some reason i doubt you were in the ARMY. well you may have been but what and how long you did it is what would probably surprise us or crack us up![8D]

Remember (if you were really in the ARMY) you are not the only veteran around. you may impress yourself but not me and i doubt many others around here!
Old 10-31-2004, 12:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

My father-in-law has a permit to cull out the older bucks on his property or something.
Other than the fact there is no such permit in Texas, does anybody else see the folly in this statement?

Them old elderly bucks are gonna let you walk right into their bedroom and let you catch them napping?

In East Texas, 3 hunters on 100 acres is pretty tight. Especially if one of them is scouting, and stalking land he had never stepped foot on before. You seem to imply the other two guys are pretty stupid and not real hunters, so I would say unless that old elderly 10 point is getting senile in his old age, the advantage was seriously in his
favor.

That old Buck probably was smart enough to know gun season hadn't started yet, and he probably knew there was no such thing as a .207.

Yep, I think that is how you fooled him.

Of course we have been through 9 pages of this nonsense, and you have no picture of the old 10 point in need of dentures.

C. Davis
Old 10-31-2004, 03:04 AM

Guys Lets get back to basics. AR's attitude is getting in the way of his point. Simply put , are there more skills involved in the successful still hunter than in the successful stand hunter,taking luck out of the picture? I think he's right on that, but I don't feel a little stupider because of it. We both have developed a successful approach to hunting by using our heads. The skills of scouting and locating the best place involve considerable skills and qualify us all as hunters. We're hunting to enjoy the experience and the heart pounds just as hard using either method. If we weren't smart we wouldn't have smoked out a poacher!

When I cut in to my grilled rare backstrap I don't think " Geesh,do I deserve this, given the skills I used to harvest this deer?" I think "Man this taste good, what a great hunt!"
Old 10-31-2004, 09:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

LMAO YOU DA MAN AR!!!![:-]

This is funny stuff.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

Simply put , are there more skills involved in the successful still hunter than in the successful stand hunter...
I disagree and for the simple reason that I hunt in both ways, depending upon the circumstances. When I am on stand, my skills of observation, etc., don't just disappear. I employ them to the extreme, to determine where and how I will set up. I also employ them even when I am sitting. When I am on foot I employ those skills also. Surely, the skill set may differ, depending on where I am and how I am hunting, but in very many cases they overlap so much that I would have difficulty determining which set is which.

The point is this, whether still hunting or stand hunting the ultimate objective is to get game on the ground. You probably won't want to stand hunt on a plain for the simple reason that there aren't any trees. And you may not wish to still hunt in a crunchy, dry, thick bramble-infested forest for the simple reason that, unless you are John Kerry, no game will be so retarded as to let you sneak up on it like that.

In my opinion, we ought not be so rigid in our thinking as to believe there are such things as "stand hunters" and "still hunters." And people who do either ought not think themselves superior to anyone else unless they are consistently putting down game in a variety of circumstances. THAT is the yardstick. Stand and still hunting are just techniques for accomplishing the same goal. A guy who still hunts will be well-served if he also knows how to employ his skills to place a stand, look, listen and sit so still that nature thinks he is "one of us." The guy who stand-hunts will be well-served if he employs many of the same skills to track an animal and put it down.
Old 10-31-2004, 04:04 PM

For those of you who replied to the original post I thank you. Although you were unaware of it at the time, you have helped me out a great deal. I was asked by my Journalism teacher to write a paper covering a controversial subject. Since I don’t really care much for the course I wasn’t there when the assignments were handed out, thus I was left with the task of choosing a subject worth writing about that wasn’t already taken. This problem had proved to be a little more difficult than you would think. So, instead of choosing, I created one.

It started out as just a kind of debate over who would be more skilled, the still hunter or the stand hunter? But then I decided to spice it up a bit. I created a “handle” on this forum, made a few post that were meaningless, and then posted “You Aren’t A Hunter”, which ended up being the title of the paper. In order to make the paper interesting I needed to find out a few things;

1. How many people would be for or against each form of hunting.
And
2. What opposing opinions would be.

That was enough to write the paper. The poaching aspect was an accident. I’m not a hunter and am unaware of when, exactly, the seasons start or end. I was however, interested to note how long it took anyone to point that aspect of the “story” out. Oh, by the way...the original story was true, but it happened during deer season about three years ago. The hunter was my father, the real SSG Martin. Of course he didn’t brag about it to anyone except my mother an me. And looking back I guess he had a right to since he was providing the deer for us to eat. The jerky was great.

Well, to make a short story even shorter, I ended up with an A on the paper. So, I guess I kind of owe an apology to anyone that I offended. I would also like to once again say thank you all for the overwhelming response to this thread. I still can’t believe how many replies it got.

Thanks again,
Jessica Martin
Old 10-31-2004, 04:28 PM

HA HA HA...Oh, I feel foolish. I was ready to hang someone!!!
Old 10-31-2004, 04:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

errrrrrrrrrrrr yeah ok dude.
Happy Halloween to ya!!

Quick Reply: You aren't a "hunter"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.