HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - You aren't a "hunter"
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2004, 04:04 PM
ARanger

Default RE: You aren't a "hunter"

For those of you who replied to the original post I thank you. Although you were unaware of it at the time, you have helped me out a great deal. I was asked by my Journalism teacher to write a paper covering a controversial subject. Since I don’t really care much for the course I wasn’t there when the assignments were handed out, thus I was left with the task of choosing a subject worth writing about that wasn’t already taken. This problem had proved to be a little more difficult than you would think. So, instead of choosing, I created one.

It started out as just a kind of debate over who would be more skilled, the still hunter or the stand hunter? But then I decided to spice it up a bit. I created a “handle” on this forum, made a few post that were meaningless, and then posted “You Aren’t A Hunter”, which ended up being the title of the paper. In order to make the paper interesting I needed to find out a few things;

1. How many people would be for or against each form of hunting.
And
2. What opposing opinions would be.

That was enough to write the paper. The poaching aspect was an accident. I’m not a hunter and am unaware of when, exactly, the seasons start or end. I was however, interested to note how long it took anyone to point that aspect of the “story” out. Oh, by the way...the original story was true, but it happened during deer season about three years ago. The hunter was my father, the real SSG Martin. Of course he didn’t brag about it to anyone except my mother an me. And looking back I guess he had a right to since he was providing the deer for us to eat. The jerky was great.

Well, to make a short story even shorter, I ended up with an A on the paper. So, I guess I kind of owe an apology to anyone that I offended. I would also like to once again say thank you all for the overwhelming response to this thread. I still can’t believe how many replies it got.

Thanks again,
Jessica Martin