Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

HUNTING OVER GREEN FIELDS/FOOD PLOTS

Old 10-26-2004, 09:23 PM

Default HUNTING OVER GREEN FIELDS/FOOD PLOTS

MY NEIGHBOR TOLD ME THAT HUNTING OVER GREEN FIELDS AND FOOD PLOTS IS THE SAME AS BAITING THE DEER,I TOLD HIM THAT ITS LEGAL.I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA AND I HUNT DEER DOWN IN ALABAMA ONCE A YEAR. HOW DO I RESPOND TO THAT REMARK? LAST WEEK HE WAS DRIVING UP AND DOWN THE ROADS LOOKING FOR DEER TO SHOOT AND HE SHOT A BUCK.IS IT LEGAL TO SHOT DEER FROM PUBLIC ROADS IN CALIFORNIA?
Old 10-26-2004, 10:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: HUNTING OVER GREEN FIELDS/FOOD PLOTS

baiting is bringing in an outside source of food, hunting regular agriculture practices is not considered baiting, both of these questions can be answered by refering to the states game laws, but i'm pretty sure no state allows shooting from a public road/row
Old 10-27-2004, 03:41 AM
Typical Buck

Generally you can't shoot accross a public road. You also can't shoot from a vechile. I don't know of any requirement not to shoot from a public road, how about 1 or 2 feet off the road. I have never seen any regs about a distance from a road.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:46 AM

This guy is gettin on you about shooting over foodplots and he's road huntin out the window??? Pay him no attention. His comments don't deserve a second thought.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Bait: to lure, entice, tempt according to Websters. I have always thought that any kind of unnatural act is actually baiting, doesn't matter if it is food plots, corn, sex scents, agriculture fields or any other kind of unnatural enticement. That said I guess I would agree with him. By the way I hunt food plots all the time and think as long as they aren't writing tickets go ahead.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:53 PM

It's not illegal to hunt from the road, it's illegal to shoot from any vehicle and/or within a certain distance from the road. State laws will disclose that distance.
QDM is foodplots and mineral licks for the deer, but some states have made mineral licks illegal.Bottomline is read/know your state's regulations and carry the phone number to your DNR-Law Enforcement, in your Cellphone and use it. Get the "Slob-Hunters" off the roads and out of the woods....
Works for me!
Old 10-27-2004, 05:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

The guys nuts.I can shoot from a vehicle.got a special permit from the PGC.