Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Strip Mine Food Plots / Hunting

Old 11-21-2005, 10:07 AM

Default Strip Mine Food Plots / Hunting

I have access to 3,700 acres of strip mine and about 1,000 acres of that is water. After bow hunting / shotgun hunting there, I realized that there are not many "BIG" deer there. There are no reall food sources other than the grasses and a few acorn trees spread throughout scarcely on the property. I don't see too many quail either. There are some fields scattered out on the outer property edges, but not many.

I am looking to plant food plots (one acre minimum each) throughout the property. Perhaps about 5-7 plotsfor starters. I am limited as to where I can plant the food plots, due to regulations on breaking the soil surface on strip mine reclaimation ground.

I saw over a dozen bucks but they were all small 8 pointers (mine dressed out at 133 lbs). There are just a few 10 pointers, but their rack and body size are not what you'd expect. I'd like 200+lb bucks (dressed weight) to be numerous, and for them to of course to have monster racks, even non-typical racks.

What would everyone recommend? the soil type is not the greatest, and getting lime trucks to the plot areas is almost not possible. What would you recommend to get the deer weight increased? Rack size increased? quail population increased? We are trying to start mowing strips in grassy areas for the quail.

Much appreciation to any and all advice. Here's a photo of my buck, as there are numerous ones this size on the property.

Thanks and have a great day, and be safe when hunting,
Joel

Old 11-21-2005, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Strip Mine Food Plots / Hunting

I think that you need to start by taking soil samples. You'll need to get the pH in line for the crops that you want to grow. Also based on the soil samples you'll know what nutrients are required. You can increase the yield from the property by just following those two things (lime & fertilizer). If you add to that a good mineral mix and a top seeding of clover you should be able to get closer to your goals.

Dan O.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Where you are located will make a lot of difference in what you can plant and when. If you are going to have the land for a long time you can plant a bunch of Sawtooth Oaks. They should have acorns in about 7 years.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:01 AM
Dominant Buck

If you can't get lime in there in the proper amount you may not be able to grow anything but native forage . Trucking in minerals for licks should be no problem , an ATV with a trailer will do in a pinch . Sample the soil in several areas and then decide what can be planted .
Old 11-24-2005, 08:28 AM
Spike

I've got an area that was stripped of all the topsoil for a building site that was never built. It is surrounded by brush and trees. I searched for a planting that would work with little or no nutrients in the soil. After failing for 3 years, I took soil samples and found a product called Imperal extreme. Advertised to grow in lower pH/ poorer soils.It grows in somewhat lower pH (mine is 5.7) pretty well. I added quite a bit of phos and potash to get the levels above 100 and then planted with 60 pounds of nitrogen.

The plot did well and now I fertilize 2-3 times per year with 150 pounds of 20-20-20 and its beginning its 3rd year. I think the key is the mutiple fertilizations. I think this is due to the poor soil nutrientstarting point.

It's doing great but grows somewhat slow until it's mature. The deer are hitting it good and it's my brother's favorite field.

Anyway, like the other posters say, soil test the areas and follow the directions. I wasn't sure how to read my test but when I ordered the Extreme the guy I talked with deciphered it for me and now I can read one.

The product is available all over but I called the whitetial institute and bought it there. Don't have there number but the web address is www.whitetailinstitute.com.

Good Luck

Buster