Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

green fields or woods

Old 01-30-2006, 07:49 AM

Default green fields or woods

Hello, this is my first post and it is a question regarding where to hunt. Me and a friend lease some land in central Alabama. We constantly have a disagreement about where to hunt for bucks. As we are both some what new to this we do not have years of experience so I am hoping someone else can help me out. Do you think the only option for shooting a qaulity buck is deep in the woods or do you believe that bucks will visit greenfields in or out of the rut? Thank you...
Old 01-30-2006, 12:25 PM

Default RE: green fields or woods

I think if your property has very little preasure then you might see him in a field. They tend to come out at dark so be on your toes cause when he comes out you aint gonna have time to jack around. I like hunting fields because you have a good view but I have had better luck in the timber. Scout field edges find good trails and go from there. The way I think of it is like this, the deer usually take their time coming down a trail if you get farther down that trail they should come by you a little earlier. I have however had good luck hunting just inside the timber in some weeds, had a doe come out and feed within 5 yards of me for 5 mins, I shot and droped her. 10 mins later a buck comes out and I miss go figure. Good luck and learn from your mistakes, I sure have and it sucks but thats hunting.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hi demarco, welcome!I would say the good Doctor is the man for this question.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome first off. I think it all depends on conditions. Everyone could go on for hours about this. But I think if it is a nasty, drury day out the bucks will go anywhere, if they feel safe of course. Deep woods is better when hunting pressure is high and does aren't making them run everywhere. JMO...
Old 01-30-2006, 01:31 PM

Welcome to the forums and i would have to agree with everyone else so far. If the pressure is high then you should set a tree stand up or sit in the wood and wait because the deer probably wont be showing their faces that much but if there is little to no pressure take the feild especially if there is feed in the feild then you should have lots of luck. So good luck and welcome to the forums.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

sit in the woods on a trail going into a feild[&:]lol, ask the doctor. he'll fix ya upwelcome to HNI
Old 01-30-2006, 02:17 PM

Thank you for the replies. Who is the Doctor you are talking about??
Old 01-30-2006, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunt both and see where the bucks are at. Then, move-in for the kill!
Old 01-30-2006, 03:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Doctor Death is his name and shooting deer is his game.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ohh.. DD is in the middle of everything! I can't believe he hasn't commented on this yet. He live on the Bama' Tennesese state line if I am not mistaken. He is a very good guy anyway!

Quick Reply: green fields or woods

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.